Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well well, it seems that I need to learn more about these mysterious things.........I was on line earlier this morning after I got out of work. Work the grave yard shift from 730pm to 600am. It is just a nice way to relax and see what all was talked about the night before. I was just about finnished makeing a post and my computer fell off line, did not think much about it cause it does happen from time to time but not more then once a month or so. And yes I am on dial up of coarse useing the AOL thing. So I figured I'd go ahead and sign back on and finnish the post but NOOOOOOOO. Every time I tried to sign on it would go through the moves of dialing and could hear the tones. But of coarse the phone line was not lighting up so I knew something was alittle wrong. Spent about 2 hours trying to get through Windows trouble shooting steps wich of coarse asked; Is your cable pluged in? Is the line already in use? and so on and so on.....after trying a few suggestions t would come up with a "hardware failure" So I thought oh what the heck I will go ahead and remove the modem and go to CC and pick up a replacement, figured it could not be too much since it was nothing fancey and about 3 years old now. get to CC and tell the expert I need a new modem for my computor and I hand him the old one and he looks at it like he had never seen one before......so he takes me over to where all the modems are and shows me two that he said would work in place of what I had, one was 69.99 and the other was 89.99 I had never heard of the cheaper brand one so decieded to go ahead and get the 89.99 one. he told me that it just slides into the slot on the side of the computor. Got home and thought.....gee wizz I just spent about an hour trying to figure how to open the computor up so I could just replace the modem to find out the new one just slides into the side and I still have to put this one back together....no problem there goes another hour and a half trying to conect all the little wires and a few ribbon cables and try to figure out where all the little screws went. did get it back together finally and opened the box with the new modem and stuck it in the side slot and loaded the software in less then 3 minuets. So.....if your sub size note book's modem goes bad, dont do what I tried to first did, just go out and buy the card type. the one i removed was about .75 x 1.25 what a bummer...... I hate these things but can't get along with out them anymore.. so I am finished with my little story for the day and alittle venting for being such a ............... Have a good day to all

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no prob UK, I am just glad I WAS able to get the thing working again....and believe me, I can take opions from others without regrets or offence. I always wondered, do manufacteres write in a soft ware program for something to stop working just after warrenty? Cars encluded.....

·
5,206 Posts
Ah another PCMCIA modem card gone bad.

Just a question now that it is all done.. Did you try to reinstall the drivers for the old modem before declaring the card dead?

I have seen, many times, that the driver gets corrupted and just needs to be re-installed.

Anyway, glad you are up and running..

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts