Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this and how do I fix it. Took all smog stuff off. Did the resister thing for Tab and Tad. I get an error for EGR valve. Not on the road yet but sounds good idling and revving up. Switched from speed density to MAF. Triple checked all the wiring for the MAF conversion. I also get an error for the TPS. When I try to scan with the computer it throws the idle up to about 3000 rpm's. Any suggestions as to where I start? Thanks. Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Not sure what you're talking about "fail safe mode" or how you would be able to tell. The computer does have a limp mode which it will be in until the O2 sensors heat up. But without having a TwEECer or EEC Tuner, there's no way for you to tell what mode the computer is in.

Did you remove the EGR valve? If so, you need to replace the EGR position sensor with a resistor pack, otherwise you will get a trouble code.

TPS error means either you need to adjust your TPS voltage or the TPS is bad.

The idle going up is a normal part of the test sequence.

Pete

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Did you keep the test plug and mil (engine light) when you did the harness? If so, do the key-on-engine-off test to find out what the computer has stored. After you write down the codes, pull the jumper to clear them. Do this while the key is still on. Then try the key-on-engine-on test to see what happens. The Corral tech section has a good write up on the procedure or better yet get the book by Charles Probst on EEC-IV's. Good luck

·
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the multiple socket test plug and the single wire test plug hooked up to my tester. I do not have the mil light. Could the wiring to the light being removed be my problem. The reason I know that the computer is in fail safe mode is because the timing never changes. It is constant at 10 degrees BTDC. Both the Ford manual and Chiltons state that if there is no advance at all then the computer is in fail safe mode. Thanks Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Not having the MIL light connected will not affect the computer.

Did you do the test with the engine at normal operating temp? Do you have the sprout connecter in?

·
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I set the timing at 10 degrees with the spout out and then reinstalled the spout and no advance. HELP! Temp aT 95 Degree C. Thanks Steve

[ June 22, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Maddog in Michigan ]

·
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any other ideas or help. Can sensors do this if they are disconnected? Thanks Steve

[ June 22, 2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Maddog in Michigan ]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
What sensors are disconnected?
You need HEGO's, TPS, ECT, EGR pos, PIP, ACT, BAP, and MAF.
Maybe the SPOUT connector is messed up?

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
I'll pull out my Probst book on Ford Fuel Injection book when I get home, but I've never heard of checking for fail safe mode by checking the timing.

Pete

·
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike,
I know the Hego's are hooked up, The TPS is hooked up but I get an error on, The EGR I get a error on because I took that system off, I'll have to check on the ECT, PIP, and ACT because I don't know off hand what those are. The BAP and MAF are hooked up. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
ECT = engine coolant temp
PIP = primary ignition pulse (sync sig from distributor)
ACT = air charge temp

TPS is vital, so clear and set that first. Make sure the spout connector is functional, ie shorting the two leads together. Symptoms sound like spout is still out.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
When are you checking the timing?

According to Probst:
When running the KOER test, timing will vary until the last ER code, then will remain fixed for 2 minutes unless you disconnect the STI ground.
It could be your TPS is bad and causing the computer to go into LOS (Loss Of Signal) Mode. However, even it LOS mode, you should be getting SOME advance. According to Watson, How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection:
LOS is a limp in mode. When the ECA detects a defect in the EEC IV system, it enters the LOS mode and the EGR valve is shut off. The BYP valve goes to a fixed position, timing becomes fixed at at a calibrated amount of advance, and the injector pulse width becomes fixed.
Sounds like most likely a bad sprout connector.

Pete

·
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Everyone,
I'm going to dig into it tonight. The spout connector gets checked first. Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts