Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· GTM BUYER
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my stock computer they could not flash for some reason. ordered brand new from gm so there wont be issue .but my fly by wire dosn't work . was told they might have to be linked to gather some how to learn each other . is that posible ?and if so how or who can.
thanks AARON

· Registered
1,380 Posts
my stock computer they could not flash for some reason. ordered brand new from gm so there wont be issue .but my fly by wire dosn't work . was told they might have to be linked to gather some how to learn each other . is that posible ?and if so how or who can.
thanks AARON
Aaron,

If the PCM could not be programmed how were you able to determine that it (the automatic trans program) was not causing the issue?

It sounds like you PCM is going into the reduce power mode after detecting a fault. Are you able to scan for trouble codes?

Did you teardown a donor or use a pallet?

If you used a donor, was the throttle functioning properly prior to teardown?

Are you using the stock throttle body?

Quite a few questions, but the answers should aid in solving the problem.

· Registered
16,319 Posts
I know with the aftermarket ECU that I am using that there is a calibration mode. It requires that the mode be entered, then the butterfly in the TB be moved manually from full closed to full open. Usually things work right out of the box, but sometimes, due to length of wires or small differences in hardware, this calibration must be done. There should be, I am guessing, an equivalent mode in the factory computers. Keep your fingers away from the blade if you do this calibration because if something goes wrong that butterfly is very much capable of cutting your fingers in two. There is always the possibility that an older TB is not compatible with a newer computer as well, so you should check this with GM or a reputable GM engine dealer that will know what they are talking about and not just trying to sell you more stuff. It's really a three piece system. Pedal, ECU, TB. All need to be compatible.

· GTM BUYER
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a donor and worked fine for what ever reson they could not reflash it .so ordered brand new one . Every thing is stock from donor . Guy near by has a 1998 c5 he's going to bring his computer over to see if his works. The car fire right up and idels fine just no loud pedel ,disapionting.
Thanks for all options .hope to figure it out over holidays.

· Registered
488 Posts
It was a donor and worked fine for what ever reson they could not reflash it .so ordered brand new one . Every thing is stock from donor . Guy near by has a 1998 c5 he's going to bring his computer over to see if his works. The car fire right up and idels fine just no loud pedel ,disapionting.

A PCM from an other car would need a relearn since is probably set to the car that it came from and that sounds like the problem that you are having.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
A PCM from an other car would need a relearn since is probably set to the car that it came from and that sounds like the problem that you are having.
If he didn't add the BCM and his Buddy's PCM has all security disabled (VATS + Column Lock) and there are no other issues, it should fire up, run and not go into power down (limp) mode.

If there's something mis-wired that caused you to have issues with your PCM you may induce the same on your Buddy's PCM.

Good luck and let us know the results.

· Charter Member
501 Posts
I have had repeated problems with fly by wire not working. I would be driving along and the throttle would shut and no longer open. Turns out it was due to a weak battery. Apparently GM computers are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. If you can see voltage changes on a dash gage it is enough to confuse the computer so check you battery and alternator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.