Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from the longest road trip to date, two 340 miles drives and many side trips over 6 days through TN, KY, OH and IN. The car has over 2K miles now and has yet to see rain. Here's what I've learned:

1. Reliability - The car worked flawlessly. Engine temp stayed below 90C even with the AC on in heavy traffic. No leaks, and no parts fell off anywhere. No vibrations, power is smooth, abundant, and always there. I couldn't be happier.

2. Gas mileage - 19-21 driving 70 or less even with frequent stoplights in the small towns. Achieved 200 mile crusing range by the time the guage dipped just below 1/4 tank. 10 gallons filled it.

3. Comfort - Very nice. No cramping or feeling contorted. A body stretch was welcome after 4 hours and 200 miles between fill-ups. No noticable engine heat in the cockpit. Earplugs, OMG what a difference they make on a long trip. I could hear the birds singing when I stopped!

4. Performance - Road curves could be taken at 15 mph over the posted speed without feeling unsafe. The car ran great in 5th at speeds over 50 mph (1500 rpm, 3.08 rear). 95% of all two lane passing was done in 4th from between 50 to 80 mph. Moderate grades were handled in 5th gear as long as my speed stayed over 60 mph. The speedo read 3 mph too slow at 70 referenced to GPS.

5. Ride quality - Firm but not harsh. No rattles or flexing. I bottomed out the rear shocks at least twice on hard bridge/road transitions. The DIY bump stops in the Bilstein shock hats cushioned the blows. I don't think the front suspension ever bottomed. Ride height is set at 4.5 front and 4.75 rear.

6. What other people did - WOW they love this car. Countless complements, good comments, looks, waves, thumbs-up, smiles, honks, shouts. I did a small (my first) burn out, giving in to the many requests while passing through the small towns.

7. Superformance - I stopped at the SPF dealer in Ross OH to check out their cars. The saleman was nice considering I had an FFR in his parking lot. He took me into the shop where they had 14 engineless cars waiting for their owners. SPF's have some nice bodywork but nothing over my FFR. When I was returning to the parking lot I noticed a family looking at my car and the SPF next to it. I heard the woman say, "Honey, I think this must be a real one" referring to my car. The husband was not sure. I told them it was an FFR and they seemed surprised and ask if I was sure. I said, yes I built it over the course of 2.8 years. We parted as friends.

8. Close calls and damage while driving - None really. One old guy changed into my lane but I was in his blind spot. Almost hit 3 different species of birds. Got my first rock chip under the parking light. It's smaller that a pin head and easily touched up.

9. Summary - one of the best times I have ever had driving anything. The wife and I felt the time flew by and we were sorry we reached or destination that quickly. It took 2 hours more than driving the interstate but that was 2 hours of extra fun. I prefer the FFR perky butt and round tail lamps. While the SPF's 15" 60's fill the wheel wells vertically, a set of 275's and 315's with the right ride height, really plump them out fore and aft and look very nice from the side as well.

Original thread: http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/092324/p/1.html#000000

Pics:
At Superformance in Ross OH

Covered bridge in Guilford IN

Ready for the July 4th parade in Lawrenceburg IN

Greg

[ July 08, 2007, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Greg_M ]

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
Our cars are the same color, but your wheels really make yours pop!. Mine are the powder coated four-lug Cobra Rs. Great synopsis of your trip. Thanks for sharing. You should consider becoming a car hobby journalist

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Excellent detal in your writing ! It is really great to hear of a "hands on" trip detail. I have often wondered myself how my first extended cruise would be.
I am sure that all can relate to your experinces.
Luv the photos, and your car "looks like it must be a real one " !

Jerry

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
Cool.

I have 3.55 gears and at 80 mph it's turning 3 grand. When spending a lot of time on the freeway makes me wish I went with a little higher gear.

·
Junior Charter Member
693 Posts
Greg,

Nice post. Thanks for sharing. My build is in progress, and I plan on spending a lot of time on road trips as well, so I have decided to keep the 3.08 gears that came in the donor rear end.

I'm interested to know how many rpm's you're turning at 70-75 mph with your 17" wheels?

Thanks,
Brian

·
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Brian, with 17s (25.8") tires and a T5-Z (0.63 5th) you will be turning 79 mph at 2,000 rpm and 70 mph a 1,750 rpm.

Here's a good calculator link for you.
http://www.1bad69.com/calc.htm

Greg

·
Junior Charter Member
849 Posts
Greg,
Thanks for the write up, great looking car. I cannot wait to go on my first road trip with the car. SO far 70 miles one way is the farthest I've taken it.

Two questions:
What are the tire / wheel sizes on your car?
What color gear is on your speedo sender?

I have 3.08 gears with T-5 trans, yello speedo gear (18 tooth). My speedo is about 18% off actual (checked with a GPS) with an Autometer gauge.
Rear tires are 255/45-17.

Breeze sent a 15 tooth yet to be installed.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Greg: Thanks for sharing. I've yet to take a long trip, 50 miles each way being my longest. I agree on your assesment of the SPF and the FFR on the road. I have 3:55s and also find it hard to go below 50mph in 5th gear. Just sent off for a idle air adjustment plate and hopefully that will solve my bucking problem. Pete

·
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hacker-pschorr,
315/35/17 (25.8") rear and 275/40/17 (25.8") front. The speedo driven gear is a WHITE gear, 17T(?).

Pete,
I'm more than happy with the way it runs at low revs. I have an Edelbrock AVS Thunder 650 carb and Air Gap RPM manifold on the FMS e-cam 302. I set the A/F ratio to 14:1 cruise, 13.8 at idle and 12.7 at WOT using an LM-1 wideband 02 logger.

In theory, it shouldn't run that well at low rpm. It never bucks even running as low as 1200 in 5th at 40 mph under light loads on level roads, like coming into a town. On the flip side it pulls very hard to the rev limiter at 6,000 rpm.

Greg

[ July 08, 2007, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Greg_M ]

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
Nice ride - great story Greg.

Scott

·
Hook' Em !
56 Posts
I have a little Excel spreadsheet that let's you input axle ratio, gearbox ratios and tire size, and outputs speed for a range of RPM.

If anybody wants it PM me.

Cheers,

Armin

·
6,332 Posts
Nice write up Greg and your car looks super. It's neat the way when people see a stunner they conclude it must be an original. Enjoy.
Frank

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin Pinkston:
Beautiful car! What color of blue is the paint?
His website says it's Lexus Indigo Ink Pearl. I agree that it looks great!

·
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Scotty.

Frank, I still have the 8X10 of your car in my garage that I printed from an email you sent me back in 2004. It was one of my build inspirations.

Kevin, ArlingtonCobra is correct. 8P4, Lexus indigo ink pearl and Dodge Viper silver stripes with pin stripes. Thanks to both of you. I'm an ex-Texan myself. Got Rain
?

Greg

·
Still broke & dreaming...
2,205 Posts
Great read, and beautiful machine, Greg! Your's is definitely one of my favorites here! Super clean build! Which reminds me, feel free to send me any hi-rez pics that you care to share! My email addy is in my profile! :D

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Greg,
Are you still using those front springs that are on your car on your webpage?
They look like the ones with too many coils.

Nice write-up.

·
26,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gary,
Thanks for the complement. I have most of my best Hi-res pics on the buildsite. It you select "view full size image" most blow up to 1280. Just save the image. I've made a few 8x10s from them and they look good. Let me know if you don't see anything you like and maybe I can dig something else up.

Greg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.