Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a return type fuel system for my Type 65 Coupe. How is this done? Can I just run a line to the vent connector on the fuel tank? Here are some pictures of the Complete Kit fuel system parts:

Here's a picture of the fuel pickup (my hand is covering the filter sock) - there is a pinched-closed tube, which is covered with a black plastic cap. I think that's for an in-tank fuel pump. But there is a strange third line going into the tank, and it is soldered closed to the tank cap - it does not come out of the cap - What is that for? I am not going to use an in-tank pump - an external fuel pump came with my MSD Atomic EFI.

I searched this and the other forum, but did not find much info on this. I hope posters add tags and use key words in their posts to help the search engines find useful posts.

Any suggestions/pictures for implementing a return fuel system with these parts? Or - what do I need to buy?

Thanks,
wayne

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Wayne,
I have a very similar system, except that I have the in-tank pump on mine (the pump goes where your filter sock is). The return line goes onto the tube that has the black cap on the top end and the red cap on the bottom end. Just take those caps off and connect your return line to it. If the top end really is pinched closed under the black cap, cut just a little bit off the end with a dremel or something to open it. I think later cars had a returnless-type system, so maybe that's why they pinched it closed. I'm not sure what that weird third tube is for, but since it is closed at the top end, I just left it alone.

Don't use the tank vent as a return line, since it is needed for....well, venting.

HTH.
Cheers,
John

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy Wayne,

Like John said the big line is your suction/supply line and the small line is your return line.

I'm using the Edelbrock 80gph external fuel pump and regulator and I used 1/2" lines for supply and a 1/4" hose for a return line from the regulator.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
122 Posts
From what I remember the red cap on the bottom of the return line actually has a slit in it, such that it opens when fuel is returned to the tank. Do not remove it until you check this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts