Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going with the competition dash layout, can someone explain the reason for the 2" gauge, right above the steering column, to be offset to the right a 1/2". I've done a lot of searches and can't find the reason. I've drawn it on the blank dash with it centered and offset, both look good, and I'm just trying to decide which way.
And second, I'm thinking of putting my turn signal arm on the right side of the wheel. For those that have done this, how do you like it? Thanks in advance.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
705 Posts
On the original Comp and S/C dash, it was not offset. It is mounted on the center line of the steering column cutout...
...there are quite a few inaccurate layout drawings floating around.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ron, that's interesting. I've not any pics of that. All I've seen is offset, and that makes it hard to get the turn lights lined up. My mind say's center everything and it'll look right, but then again what's right? Thanks for the info.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
705 Posts
Originally posted by AC4ME:
... but then again what's right?
What's 'right' is whatever looks good to you...
...what's 'correct' is the way it was. ;)

This pic shows how the indicator lights were positioned around that gauge.

Note that there was only one turn signal light...green and on the right.
The indicator on the left was blue, and was for the high beam indicator.

·
3,874 Posts
Eirar, Ron is correct and also note that you mention the "turn lights" of which there is only one on the dash that blinks whether your tuning right or left and is found on the right side of the water temp. gauge. The other light up there on the left side of the water temp gauge is for your high beam indicator. With that said I have seen about every configuration there is and I do see alot with the water temp. gauge offset to the right from 1/4" to about 1/2" on average. Like Ron mentioned, make it comfortable for you and enjoy it.
Don

·
3,874 Posts
After reading through Ron's post I just noticed that he had already mentioned the point about the lights.
Don

·
2,860 Posts
Hope this adds some light...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point about the turn or indicator light (1). I was looking at my American Autowire Harness assy, and it has it set up for two lights. I just assumed that's how it went. I can't just hook both of the indicator light wires together, it'll back feed and light up all the turn lights. How do you guys hook up one light set ups, with diodes?

[ August 23, 2007, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: AC4ME ]

·
3,874 Posts
Einar, yes you will have to install diodes on each line just before the light. Radio Shack part number 276-1561.
The following information is from - My427SC.com - a lot of great info on his site. Also, if I'm correct the colors and numbers of the wires in these photos are in reference to the Painless wiring harness that FFR used to supply with the Roadster kits.
Here is a photo of the wiring diagram for your turn signals from:

Here is a photo of the wiring diagram for your four way flashers:

Don

[ August 23, 2007, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Don DePontee ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don, Thanks very much. That's just what I was looking for, part #'s and everything.

·
3,874 Posts
Einar, pay close attention to the direction the diodes must face, it's all in which end has the line just like in the diagrams.
Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts