Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of what is censored is not profanity but just in poor taste. I have read posts where some are offended by it being censored or removed. But I would like to ask a question, how many are offened when they read a post that does NOT contain any profanity or language that is considered by some to be in poor taste? Do you ever read a post and think, "Gee I would have liked reading that but the guy didn't use any foul language so I'm offended".

That sounds absurb but it makes my point. I don't think anyone is offened at the lack of it so I think is is reasonable for the owners of this forum to ask all to refrain from using it. That way they will not have to censor it and no one will be offened in any way.

If you can't express yourself without it you need to study the English language a little more. There are plenty of words to express anything you wish in a tastful way that offends no one.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well said, Bob. No reason to turn this forum into MTV.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I agree as well. I didn't think something like this needed to be addresses,...but.....

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
I agree, thanks for the lead Bob.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have no problem with reasonable censoring. I don't see the need for profanity or to flame anybody. So you disagree. I've seen extremes in other forums and was a little shocked, and it tells me a litte about their IQs. We collectively agree to set some standards and abide by them. That's what makes a civilization. I really like this forum. Lots of intelligent people with a Cobra passion and good ideas and fix recommendations.....

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
I'm with you Bob, but I'd take it a step further. I suggest that the admins remove offending posts entirely instead of censoring them.

·
Senior Charter Member
743 Posts
it tells me a litte about their IQs
I agree. Some of the profanity is unneeded, but sometimes it adds another dimension and insight as to what the poster is experiencing by the colloquial use of profane language.
For example:

I finally got this POS hood to fit. :mad:
VS
The quality control of the bonnet is sub-standard and the endeavor of fitting it correctly is both time consuming and maddening. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
"Crude men use crude language."

OTOH, if you want to use profanity, use it. "Freekin" bugs me. Say the word or don't.

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
I've only ever contacted the Mods once regarding a post. It had some photos in it that I thought IMHO would be upsetting to be seen by ~PG kids. Personally I put it in the "poor taste" box and left it at that, apart from my mentioned action. Maybe I should have PM'ed the poster and left it to them ....

I don't have a problem with the POS abbreviations etc and the substitutions of leters in words.

Perhaps 1 way to look at it is ..... would you like your ~12 year old reading a post and asking 'what does POS mean ?'

I guess it could always end up a loose loose situation. 1 complains about something being cut out and 1 complains about it being left in.

That's why i have so much respect for the Mods here and what they do - and how they do it.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
Club Cobra and Club Hot Rod have an auto censor in their system. You post a profanity and it comes up ******* problem solved. I have to say there is not a lot of it here that I see anyway but I don't read every post either. For the most part everyone is very good about it but when it does get going it's bad. It seems to be mostly over heated topics where tempers flare. I think the moderators do a great job keeping the peace and removing heated topics. To some it's normal language to use... to others it's offensive. It's all about respecting each other which for the most part everyone does here. JMO, G.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
I don't know if this has come about in the light of a specific post :confused: but I've seen very little profanity on the forum and I very much hope it stays that way. The mods do an excellent job IMO. AFAIK on the couple of occasions I've felt the need to swear it's been in terms like POS (does this really offend anyone ???) or I've self censored - it's not hard

Not entirely sure why the censor doesn't work on the forum, especially given that there's a tweak available to leave the first and last letters, and thus the sentiment but not the foul language, intact.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Gosh - this subject has just reminded me how pleasant this forum is.
I have my own pet-peeve about the custom of using screen names on most forums (civility can suffer)but, this one generally operates like everyone knows each other and might actually meet each other some day.
There may be a naughty from time-to-time (and I know, use, and love most of the naughty words) but they are darned rare and seldom crude.
Be well, Jim

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Jim, a lot of guys use screen names, but then sign the post with their real name - me, for one, but there are many others. Seems to work OK.

As far as acronyms like POS, we could just have a "gentlemen's agreement" to use POJ (piece of junk) instead or PITT (pain in the tushy). Then your 12-year-old won't get upset. But if you think she hasn't heard it a zillion times before, you're dreaming.

Who said that a father's worst fear is that his daughter will meet up with a young male that is just like he was at that age?

Edit: From time to time a thread from some other forum will be linked here (remember the one about nitrous?). These other forums invariably contain waaaay more profanity than this one. Even though I am a foul-mouthed ex-sailor, I find it annoying to read and much less interesting than this one, where everybody plays nice. On the other hand, I enjoy the occasional link to a hot-looking gal, too. :D

All the best,
Tag

·
Registered
403 Posts
Whoa, I'm staying out of this one. I got yelled at for typing the words "Your f1nger has been sent" and had my post removed. In the future I shall always refer to it as "Your whatchamacallit".

And you English never could speak English in the first place.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
One man's profanity is another man's poetry.

I'd also like to clean up the neighborhood, nevertheless...

Bob, you're certainly a gentleman and I respect your opinion and your right to have an opinion, but I usually fall on the free speech side of this discussion.

I personally find profanity at least distracting if not offensive, but any type of censorship is a cause for alarm. You know about the slippery slope...

Now which Supreme Court Justice said he can't define profanity, but he knows it when he sees it?............Oh, that was obscenity?..........Never mind.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts