Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I were offered IT jobs in Columbia SC, by Shakespeare LLC

Does anyone know the lowdown on this company?

Tell me the highs and lows about Columbia and surrounding areas

( lake murry and lake wateree)

·
Charter Member
1,050 Posts
I grew up there and now live in Greenville. The company has been there for many years and must be doing something right. Columbia is a nice college town but hot in summer,living costs are good. Good choice but not as metropolitan as Charlotte but traffic is much easier. chuck

·
10,171 Posts
I have a uncle in Irmo.. retired from Allied... I can get his number if you need it..
We make some spinnerets for their textile division..

·
FFCobra Fanatic
708 Posts
Do a search for a forum member named Dan460. He moved there from Charleston around 2003. See if you can contact him.

Dana

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,170 Posts
Jimmy.
Just come down and have a look. Let me, or Cameldog know ahead of time and I'm sure we'll be able to show you raound a bit.

What really makes Columbia interesting is it's location in relation to so many other places.
Charlotte is just 1 hour away, Atlanta about 3.
To the sea (Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Savannah) less than 3 hours and about the same for the mountains (Asheville).
Columbia is growing quite a bit and there are enough restaurants and bars around town. During summer there's always something going on downtown and it looks like the town is getting more and more cultural activities going.

As others said, not really comparable to Charlotte, or even close to Atlanta, but overall it's nice.

Lot's of golf courses around here too and Lake Murray is very big and perfect for a weekend day on the water.

And, there are at least 3 raodsters in town. One is work in progress.

Olivier

·
Junior Charter Member
625 Posts
I lived here since 1971. Cost of living is good and there is a buyers market in housing right now. If you have school aged children, you should look into the different school districts (lots of difference between districts). Lugoff and Elgin are in Kershaw county where taxes are lower and there is alot of new housing developments in that area.

I have a friend who does graphics at Shakespeare, I can PM his phone number to you if you want.

Downtown Columbia is going thru a renaissance. The Vista has lots of eateries and there are many new condo projects along the river. In the northeast area (close to Shakespeare and Kersaw county) The Village at Sandhills is progressing with many new shops. There is also supposed to be a housing area in the rear. Lake Carolina is just down the road also. It is a lake community with many neighborhoods of differnet price and style houses.

Like Oliver mentioned, there are lot of things to do in Columbia and it is not far from the beach or the mountains.

Let me know if you come for a visit, I'd be glad to show you around some.

Kenneth

·
Junior Charter Member
625 Posts
Oh Yeah, Lake Murray, expensive, high Lexington county taxes. Lake Murray has a pretty constant level except when SCE&G takes it down. Lake Murray is very large. Lake Wateree is smaller and levels tend to flucuate more. I have a co-worker who lives on Lake Wateree (an IT guy) and a friend who lives at Lake Murray if you want to talk to someone. Lake Wateree property has become more expensive as there is alot of development going on. Part of it is in Fairfield county (bad schools) and part is in Kershaw county (better schools). Not sure how taxes between Fairfield and Kershaw compare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts