Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience using a Cole Hersee 75212-04-BX rotary switch with the Factory Five wiper motor? The switch is pretty straight forward it has Battery, Hi Lo and Park features. First time I connected it using the FF wiper wiring diagram, the wiper fuse blew. If anyone has had a similar experience and can save me some trouble shooting time, it would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
CobraDriver,

Go the next step up. I have bench tested the Cole Hersee # 75600-04 Intermittent switch with success and it works with the Lucas Motor from FFR. Been a while now but I've got lots of pictures of the work I did which I can send you later including pictures of the wiring and I have a video of it working on the bench (somewhere). I'm between getting my files from an old computer integrated into my newer computer at this moment. I'm in the middle of 'organizing' my files.

I've also modified the switch to work with the original style knob.

Have you looked at the Cole Hersee # 75-228-04, it looks very similar to yours with 5 terminals on the back with dynamic parking?

George

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
George: kindly post or send me everything you have in the way of build note and wiring diagrams for the wipers.
Mahalo from Hawaii.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I used the Cole Hersee 75600-04 in my just completed Coupe build. I didn't use Factory Five wipers, so hadn't considered that it would work with the Lucas style motor. But interesting to hear that it does. Makes sense since the wipers I used and the Lucas motor both use dynamic parking. It also has washer power and function, which is nice if you install washers. The intermittent feature is nice. It has a relatively standard 1/4" shaft, so should be pretty easy to make different knobs work. It comes with a generic one. I was able to get it to fit in my Coupe, but is is pretty large. This drawing shows the switch and the pin-outs. The -04 version (several pages down) has wires versus terminals or connectors. https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/commercial-vehicle/2d-prints/switches/windshield-wiper/littelfuse-switches-electronic-windshield-wiper-2d-prints.pdf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested the Cole Hersee wiper switch using a digital voltage probe, and here are the results:

Switch Position Switch Contact Voltage
OFF Battery 12.1 Park 12.1 Low 0 High 0
LOW Battery 12.1 Park 0 Low 12.1 High 0
High Battery 12.1 Park 0 Low 0 High 12.1

Based upon these readings, the switch appear to be functioning correctly. Each of the female spade connectors, on the wires connecting to the wiper motor, is insulated with heat shrink to prevent any accidental shorting between any of the motor connections, in that confined space. If I can't figure out the root cause of this fuse blowing, can anyone recommend another brand of vintage looking rotary wiper switch, that they have used, and know will work with the Factory Five wiper motor? If some sort of special wiring configuration is required, and of which I am obviously unaware, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone wanted to share.

Mahalo from Hawaii

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Agree that appears to be the correct measurements for the switch. Maybe the switch isn't the problem. How do you have the motor wired? I've seen some wire it backwards. I use this diagram. The perspective of the schematic is looking at the terminals on the wiper motor from the pin side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree that appears to be the correct measurements for the switch. Maybe the switch isn't the problem. How do you have the motor wired? I've seen some wire it backwards. I use this diagram. The perspective of the schematic is looking at the terminals on the wiper motor from the pin side.

My motor pin outs are the same. I went to the Factory Five web site, and downloaded their "How To" instructions for their wiper installation kit, when I bought my first FF MKII. It was built without wipers, so I had to install the kit from scratch. When I did the kit installation in the first car, I used a simple single poll, double throw toggle switch, and there was no "Park" feature. This is the first time, I'm trying to use an after market rotary switch. It looks like the switch in your diagram is a toggle type switch, not a 4 pin rotary switch. I may try using a toggle switch, if that's what it will take to get my wipers working, so I can pass my safety check.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Correct. That diagram is referencing the usual toggle switch that comes with the Factory Five wiper switch kit and also available from Finishline (and others) from Lucas. Not sure how electrically it's different than the rotary switch you're using. I can only say again the rotary Cole Hersee switch I referenced in my earlier post works fine with a system that's electrically similar to the FF/Lucas style motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to get the wipers working, by disconnecting the power feed going directly to the wiper motor. I connected the switched 12V wiper feed from the fuse block, to the battery terminal on the Cole Hersee rotary wiper switch. Power goes from the control switch to the wiper motor via the HI and LO power feeds to the motor. With this configuration the “PARK” feature is disables, but I can live with that. The goal was to get the wipers operating, to pass a safety inspection. Thanks to all who contributed. All I have left to test now it the new set of gauges from Glow Shift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts