Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my cold air box for my Webers back from the welder. Very disappointed in his job. I spent the morning using a flap,wheel on my grinder to blend the welds. Then 80 grit sandpaper to clean everything up. Looks pretty good. It’s the bottom so no one will see it. Turning next to sanding the inside and outside with 220 grit sandpaper for a nice brushed finish

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started on one side with 220 grit.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Fortunately it is cleaning up well and will look good when done. Its your car, and we have expectations based upon our standards. Not sure what the welder understood your workmanship criteria to be? If he clearly appeared to understand what you wanted and he did not do the expected and paid for finish work, you should be upset. If he thought he supposed to just weld it all together, then that is another story. When you are done with the cleanup and the box is finished as you wanted it, then you will likely forget about this mis-step. To get high quality work done like we see done by builders like Kindigit and others, that work comes at a price most of us are not willing to spend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That certainly was a disappointing weld job. Have to hand it to you, tho, it's cleaned up well. I've been following you little project for a while and must say it will be pretty sweet when you're done.

Marsh

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,287 Posts
Are you planning to clear coat it? I have found that sanded aluminum attracts dirt and fingerprints like a magnet.

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. Leaving it raw

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Had to make notches to clear the fuel inlet fittings. Wasn’t easy designing a fixture to hold everything in place to avoid the hole cutter wandering all over. But it ended up being easier than I thought. Onward!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Consider using Sharkhide to clear coat the aluminum when done. I used it for all of my aluminum panels. Not that expensive and easy to apply and repair if needed. I used a scotchbrite pad to put a grain in the aluminum surface and then the sharkhide. The way you have sanded the surface, sharkhide would do a good job of protecting and stopping the static cling effect.

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Inside finished. Once around with 180 grit, then two rounds of 220 grit. Time to start the outside

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All finished and installed. I had to open up the holes and elongate some. But it looks really nice, except for the welds

·
Senior Charter Member
3,013 Posts
Your welder is trying to make me feel better about the pigeon poo I laid down over the weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bill, Great work. Love your period correct build. I have EFI throttle bodies, which are pretty flat on top and should make building a plenum like this easier. That will have to wait for me until after I get the body work done...lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts