Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any final information on replacing / upgrading the Koni shocks on FFR '33 Hot Rod 4 link...8.8 rear end Naturally needing a softer ride. Need brand and part numbers etc. Nothing at the Breeze site and no website on D Ruth... any other suppliers ? I have read lots of info but no final resolution on this topic.... So anyone reply ??

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yes that is pertinent information. So FFR backed off from 350/500. Actually now that you mention it I thought at one point maybe 1-2 years ago I noticed they changed to 250lb rear. Maybe they went to 250 and back to 300. In any case the springs from FFR are marked and if you find the ride too jarring a first step is a spring change and a damper rebound setting check. I think most would be satisfied at that point. It is nice to be able to change the compression and rebound settings easily by hand though - but you need to change the shocks for that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anyone have any final information on replacing / upgrading the Koni shocks on FFR '33 Hot Rod 4 link...8.8 rear end Naturally needing a softer ride. Need brand and part numbers etc. Nothing at the Breeze site and no website on D Ruth... any other suppliers ? I have read lots of info but no final resolution on this topic.... So anyone reply ??
You can email Dan Ruth at [email protected] or give him a call at 602-332-5398. He is a huge source for information.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyway, with the chassis rolling on wheels and tires. I can't hardly bounce the chassis up and down. Very very stiff Konis all around 350# rear 500# front. Wouldn't you think that both a spring change and shock change would do it? My Konis are set the softest ???

·
Registered
184 Posts
My frame number is #1028 as a point of reference and my manual shows the 300/400 shocks.
It's not uncommon for FFR to change the part and not the manual.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Recommend talking to Mark at Breeze Automobile. He`s a fantastic resource, i install QA1 packages for front and rear along with his custom rear lower control arms package. My cobra handles so much better along with an improve ride. I drive my cobra now about 4,000 miles a year along with attend 3-4 Track Night in America events. Its like night and day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not enough information...need front and rear eye to eye measurement, Spring length as well. Can you bounce the body at all ? Could you colapse the shock by hand before install ?? Need model and or part numbers... How does it ride???
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not enough information...need front and rear eye to eye measurement, Spring length as well. Can you bounce the body at all ? Could you colapse the shock by hand before install ?? Need model and or part numbers... How does it ride???
Thanks
Beretta,
I purchased my car from the original owner unassembled, but he had gotten the shocks and springs from Dan Ruth. 10" 450# front and 10" 325# rear. When I finished the car it rode pretty hard in my opinion. I adjusted the shock setting and it helped but it still hit hard. I tried a couple of different spring rates on the rear and the 12" 250# springs worked the best for me. I then replaced the front with 10" 375# springs. I can bounce the front and rear of the car now and I feel the ride is good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks CVOBILL,
Then more info the better
Regards......

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am going to mention that Dan sends shocks and springs based on what motor and transmission and rear end is in the car. A SBC vs an Aluminum Ford motor has some weight differences. It also handles differently based on 4 Link vs 3 link vs IRS and shifting is different with auto vs manual.

Many things to think about with the suspension.

If I recall correctly FFR just recently went over to Koni and tested the Hot Rod with several different shocks, springs and settings. With that they changed the shocks and springs that are stock on the car and they handle much better. This was around the same time that the Koni shocks went to not being able to mount them upside down.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm on the extreme soft side...

Dan Ruth QA1's but changed the springs to 300# 10" up front and 110# 12" in back.
Needed a spring compressor to install fronts. Went longer to have the compression match the QA1 recommended specs.

I've only driven on the street so not concerned with very high speed cornering.
the ride is still not "soft" by any means. Car still handles very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts