Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vegasjack
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to apply cockpit insulation throughout the cockpit. By recommendation I ordered "EZ Cool Insulation." When I did a flame test on it with a simple match, it ignited rather easy, burned hot with a lot of soot. My bad, I should have read up on it before buying. Fortunately I did not buy a lot of it. Having experience with fire before, I have no desire to use material of such flammable properties. I realize many builders used EZ Cool, which is their choice. I have not heard of any others having an issue with it.

So, has anyone else used a good insulation/sound deadening material they recommend? I do realize most will ignite with enough heat-I get that. But I don't want something that ignites with a spark and burns so rapidly that I may not be able to get out of car or be rescued in event of a fire.

I am looking at going with Dynamat, which in itself will burn, but extremely hard to ignite and burns very slowing. Does it make a difference? To me it does.

Any suggestions of a good flame "Resistant" insulation?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi VegasJack,

I respect the fact that you had prior experience with fire, and I'm glad that you were able to survive what I can only imagine to be a scary situation.

But I wonder if the insulation is what you should be concerned with. Have you put a match to the carpet too? Did it burn? Installed correctly, the insulation should have aluminum panel on one side, and the carpet on the other side of it. I can't imagine how it would be the source of flame.

Maybe someone will have an answer. But as a satisfied user of the EZ Cool Insulation as an open insulator without carpet, I can only say proceed with what you have. :grin2: Carry on. Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used Dynamat. More expensive, but better quality. Cheaper insulation may be okay for horizontal installation, but vertically has been known to droop in a hot environment. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I used Dynamat. If you go this route, you'll need two boxes (each with nine 18" x 32" sheets) to cover the cockpit, firewall, & trunk.

John

·
Charter Member
1,754 Posts
I have used Dynamat, HushMat and Kilmat.

HushMat is a lot cheaper than Dynamat and appears to be the same product.

I have used KilMat on the last three cars. I did a Cobra interior and trunk with 80 mil Kilmat for $120 delivered last spring.
50 mil Dynamat was about $230.

I far as I can tell all three products are the same quality.

Google KilMat and read the reviews. Also search You Tube. A guy did a bunch of test on all three brands.

I like the KilMat better

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
After some research I just bought some Noico 80 mil. It was $65 for 36 sq feet on Amazon prime. I haven't installed it you, but based on some reviews and the look and feel of it, I think it will work fine.

·
Registered
11,800 Posts
GUYS

Had to chime in, USE GLOVES when applying insulation such as Fatmat or Dynamat. The cut foil edges can be really, REALLY sharp.

Happy building!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts