Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOw would you instert these into our sidepipes after cutting??
Here is what the website says

Sidepipe Insert Mufflers - popular on Corvettes & some Cobras.
The expanded ends slip just inside a 4" OD sidepipe - slots cut into each end can be tweaked slightly in order to keep constant tension against the inside of the sidepipe during exhaust heating & cooling cycles. This eliminates rattling & loose fits. Now you can have the unique chambered sound & superior flow through your sidepipes.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
430 Posts
I would cut the sidepipes at a natural spot (maybe where they are already welded) and I would then insert your muffler and WELD it in. Then I would weld the sidepipe back together using wire feed with gas to make it smooth looking. If you don't have gas for the wire feeder, have a pro welder do it for you.

Jim

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
It doesn't.....First of all you need to have a 4 inch dia pipe (you don't have that) , if you had that I would drill a ring of 6 or 8 holes , 3/16 in diameter at each end of the pipe in line with the insert fwd and aft expanded ends and plug weld them in place with the Mig welder. I considered doing this . How I planned to do it was to take the FFR 4 tube collector and expand the collector end to fit a 4 inch pipe , insert the "corvette" style inserts above , then add a turnout at the end (flowmasterorequiv.)
But I used the cobrapack replacement mufflers instead.
The advantage to using the thing you show is you could have a relatively long muffled section which might help sound control and you would have a unique looking sidepipe , same diameter for its total length.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
Its hard to see but if you look at Topic: Chambered Exhaust Muffler Dyno Results , and hit my link / pictures , its hard to see but thats what I did to align the system on the car , I plug welded a ring of holes around the collector I used on the car , then welded a 360 bead off the car .
Another way you could use the things above is get a 3.5 to 4 inch header reducer and use it as an adapter , you could then make a "cover" for the top of the baffled section if you did not like the raw look.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Also looked at these inserts. They are designed to slide into a 4" pipe replaceing the normal 4" od insert found in the corvette side pipes. If I were to do this I would buy a length of 4" id pipe,weld the insert in, then use a reducer on each end of the new pipe bringing the size down so it could be matched and welded to the ffr collector and turn out. If trying to reuse the ffr side pipe thing these insert are too long and a shorter insert would need to be ordered. Call them,they are very helpfull and will make these in most any size you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts