Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed (with Earl's supervision) Cobra Earl's Touring Trunk Kit yesterday. Just as I had anticipated. Remove a little stuff here and add some stuff there and you are done. The kit has all the parts, well proportioned for a clean, tight fit. Ground down a couple of weld beads and a few aluminum edges to get close fit. Excellent kit, well thought out. Thanks Earl!!!

I can't wait to install the battery relocation box and get the dropped foot box in. These will be welcomed improvements when Mariah is ready for the road. I'm going to the garage now, clean off the the sealer, pull up a chair and think about how much room Kay and I will have to pack for a trip to Key West....or some such place!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
How bout some pictures of the install?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Congrats on the install Phillip! Thanks again for helping on Monday night! Spent last night doing inventory and plan on marking the aluminum panels tonight and pulling them off so I can start painting...

Drew
FFR#3928

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
I've seen the install on some of the cars near me. They really look great. The added bonus is that they were lucky to live close enough to Earl that he helped with the install. Apparently he works like a mule and won't quite 'till it's done! Then it's Miller Time
!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,267 Posts
No welding required, only rivits & silicone. Make the trunk a LOT more useful.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Todd, no install pics. Earl wouldn't let me stop working long enough to take them. Although he did take two or three. There are several completed pics on several threads here.

To me the real key was to have the correct tools. Nothing you could not borrow for A FEW HOURS from a neighbor. You could do the install with a hacksaw and hand file, but the Sawzall, angle grinder and hole saw made the work go more quickly and SAFELY.

·
12,654 Posts
http://home.mindspring.com/~egroce/

This it the link to my website. The webpage about the trunk is still under construction. There is a photo of a completed trunk there.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=50543420&photoID=50545236&security=wnPpFK
This link should get you to a photo of an uncarpeted trunk if the photo below does not open.

I have trunks ready to ship.
I am working on a POWERPOINT presentation to show the buyer how to install.

Hope to ship the trunks that are on order NEXT WEEK!!

There is no welding required on this trunk.

Helping these guys has been fun.... And, its allowed me to work out MANY DETAILS.

AND, IF all works well, I will be shipping the Foot boxes that are on order late next week.

earl

[ November 14, 2002, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
Registered
399 Posts
Earl,

I tell ya I really enjoyed the trunk the last time I drove the car. I went to that Ford day at Mooresville and really did not have to sit there and think how I was going to pack the trunk. I just got my chairs, a cooler, camera bag, tool bag, and had plenty of room left over. It makes it nice to just throw stuff back there and go, and not have to put stuff in the front seat with you.

Sean

·
Senior Charter Member
254 Posts
I've got a question. This may have already been discussed before, but I couldn't find it so I'll just ask here. According to FFR the new MKII trunk has been redesigned for more room than the previous version. Does Cobra Earl's touring trunk kit add even more room or is it for the older roadsters with the smaller trunk?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wesley,

Earl's has more. The new kits take the hoop out at the top of the trunk and move it up to the body. I had to have Whitby's do this when my kit came in on mine, now it is done from FFR. Earl's takes all the wasted space you have above the gas tank on the drivers side.

Look a the link to Earl's site it has a picture of the install on Dave Van Sleen's car.

Sean

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Cobra Earl:
Will the Touring Trunk fit into the frame without the IRS or 3-Link? suspension, just stock???

·
Registered
673 Posts
Misu Earl sells two trunk kits, his own roadster has no IRS or Three link and tuley has the biggest trunk in an FFR. with a stock build there is more room available than with the Three link or IRS. the down side to the larger version is you can not retrofit to a Three link or IRS after you install it.
check the vendors page for a link to his web site.
Greg

·
6,546 Posts
I've not seen this up close, but it shouldn't interfere with the 3 link that I can see after eyeballing the "dead" area above my gas tank.

My biggest concern about the mod is triangulation.

The stock trunk floor is triangulated. There are 3 clearly visible triangles. These add integrity to the chassis design should there be a rear impact.

What do or does the rear frame look like prior to aluminum installation?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Greg:
Thanks for your response. It sounds like the best option would be to go for the 3-Link/IRS trunk, just in case I change my mind and want to go the IRS route at a later date. This would leave me with the best of both options.

misu

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.