1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Hilarious that the first article is so FOS about the origins of the car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes it's a FFR, I remeber when it first surfaced and never heard much since. The ground clearence of the side pipes made me question it's drivability though.
It's a trailer queen. Look at the mirrors?, The headlights and Turn lights Can only be seen When the car is comming straight at You?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
New Zealand

I think there was a '33 built in New Zealand (maybe Australia) that was to be CNG fueled, too. I don't think it's the same one, but don't know. There was an emissions issue that pushed the CNG design Down Under, I believe.

I couldn't spot the discussion thread here quickly, however.

Best regards,

PS: It was car #222 ordered by Squid in Australia, but it was to be LPG fueled. I've lost track of that Build, however. TV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello kh6wz, It is indeed a Factory Five 33 Hot Rod. This vehicle is a collaboration between Wayne Day (car owner) and AFVTech and was bought late 2009 and displayed at an alternative fuel vehicle trade show. One of the sponsors Luxfer Gas Cylinders, supplied us with the cylinders for the vehicle. The purpose of this vehicle was to showcase CNG in a different light. For most individuals and businesses associated CNG or LPG with a fleet vehicle mentality. I wanted to show folks that one, CNG, while still a fossil fuel, is a viable alternative to gasoline and two, that the energy content is nearly equivalent to gasoline. The Gasser was a quick demo to get the idea out there, it is now undergoing a complete rework and rewiring, with the addition of stability control. One of the things that are missing in the Hot Rod world (IMO), is the adaption of useable technology e.g. Antilock brakes, traction control, stability control and emission controls. We wanted to make a vehicle that added the latest in these technologies and show that near OEM integration is possible, once all of the dots are connected. My core experience is in engine calibration and engine building, I wanted to have a fully functioning OBD system in this vehicle, primarily equipped with catalyst(s) and its corresponding sensors as well as a CAN network that functions with as many legs as possible, communicating between the vehicle systems. The 7.0L engine has the needed components to run extended durability tests on CNG. Best Regards, Kevin Fern

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the responses. Good to know it's from our Favorite Factory!
-wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts