Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original post:
Getting ready for the first start, checking connections, making sure everything is ready and found that the clutch even when fully depressed did not seem to allow the rear wheels to turn as they do when not in gear. I have a Steeda adjustable quadrant and adjustable cable. Both are at there max and still no luck. Suggestions needed on how to trouble shoot this. Thanks, Tim G

Checked the clutch fork to throw out and it was engaged. Any other suggestions?
Tim G

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Hmmmm. Puzzling. A large part of the fun of the build is sorting these sorts of things out.

I've never seen a Steeda quadrant or cable (I'm using a Forte's quadrant and stock cable), but i'm guessing the problem is with one of those two. The other possibility id that the ball stud is threaded too deep into it's mount on the bellhousing, by omitting the thick lockwasher nehind it, but I'm guessing that this has not been removed.

Does the Steeda quadrant have more than one tang to engage the cable? Some have 3 (too tight, too loose, and just right?) Is it engaged onto the clutch pedal shaft properly? Should look a lot like this from the top of thepedal box:

If all that is correct, maybe the Steeda cable is slightly too long? Were these Steeda parts on the donor, which presumably worked, or added during the cobra build? Can you swap the donor cable back to check?

If the cable is just a little too long, maybe a stack of washers or a spacer under the end of the cable housing would back it out enough to take up the slack.

When you say "both are at their max", I assume you mean maximally shortened, or tightened.

HTH

Forrest

[ November 08, 2002, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: forrest1 ]

·
Senior Charter Member
474 Posts
Does the clutch fork at the bellhousing move when you have someone depress the clutch pedal? Also, what gear did you think you were in? The shifter rod interferes with some shifters ( Hurst) and won't allow it to go into 5th. If that happens you need to grind the shifter rod a little to clear the stop.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Steeda quadrant is an exact dublicate of the Fortes and it and the cable came out of the donor functional. Both ends of the cable are maximally shortened and the clutch fork moves when the clutch is depressed. I'll try a couple of washers and hope its just caple length as I was hoping to have first start up this week not engine pull. Thanks, Tim G

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
if the clutch fork is moving, you should be able to verify with a flashlight that the clutch fingers are moving too.

Stupid question here... does the car roll ok when in neutral? If not, check your rear brakes & emergency brake setup. If it rolls in neutral, but not when in gear (w/ clutch pushed in), you're pilot bearing might be seized up.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,579 Posts
Here's a dumb thought. Is the fork installed in the correct position? It can be put in backwards and will give you the results you're having.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Tim,
If you have any questions, please call me @ 781-248-8946 this weekend. It's my cell and rarely leave it.
Mike Forte
Forte's Parts Connection
376 R Cambridge Street
Burlington, MA 01803

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Or it could be the clutch disc is not sliding on the splined shaft, so even with the pressure plate released, it's binding on the flywheel.

call Mike Forte--he's The Man!

Forrest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.