Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Steamerbill
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years, Slither needs a new clutch. Slither is an older first series car with a TKO 500 tranny. Can the clutch be replaced by removing the tranny and bell housing or does the engine and tranny need to come out. Please help, suggestions welcome. This is the first major work Slither has required since completion.

·
Premium Member
17,733 Posts
It can be done, I've done it in a MII Roadster. But it's a royal PITA! A lot of time lying on your back shoving heavy things around, and potentially dropping heavy things on yourself. I swore I would never do that again. It's so much easier and faster to pull the engine out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had my trans out 3 times and the engine once. I'll do the trans anytime. Engine ---coolant, radiator, wiring, exhaust, carb and linkage, shifter. Need a balancer on a hoist and have to angle car. 2 man operation.

Trans with a good jack is easy, the bellhousing can be a pain in the back leaning over the car and going back under.

I guess everyone has pro's and con's on this.

ps. I hate doing the exhaust!!!!!!!grrrrr

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hey Bill,

It's been a long time. Good to see Slither is still roaming along.

I took my T5 out and put another one in from down below, so I think you should be able to slide the trans far enough back to get the bellhousing out.

Not too easy to access probably....

Good luck.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts