Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new motor/trans/clutch now but I was curious if anyone here changed their clutch before and how it was done. I have Tremec on a small block. It looks like a pain to do!

Phillip

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
If the engine/transmission isn't in the car yet it's a piece of cake. Just follow the instructions in the Chilton's manual. Oh...make sure you clean the new clutch and pressure plate with brake fluid before installing. Ford had a special notice with my clutch kit that said they've had a lot of reported failures after only a few thousand miles. Their position is that the failures were due to lack of cleaning before install or improper break-in.

I used the FMS heavy duty. It's got a fairly high pedal effort and is sometimes a pain. I'll frequently put the car in neutral at a light to give my leg a break. If I did it again I'd go with the FMS King Cobra. It gives the same clutch force as the heavy duty but Ford designed it to require less pedal effort.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
I'm a little confused? you have a new motor/trans/clutch but you want to change it, is it a stocker slipping or something?

I don't know about the tremecs but with the t-5 its normally easier to take it out the top.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
929 Posts
BTDT, I recommend taking the T5 out the bottom. In fact I did it without removing the trans cover. Think about the carpet, the rivets, the goop, and see how much easier it is? I needed to elongate the shifter hole cause the tranny had a ripper shifter (much taller), so I just did and when buttoning up I just riveted a plate from the middle of the hole back. worked great. You do have to turn and twisty the tranny a bit, but its good for you. :D Matt

·
6,546 Posts
Ya - especially when you crank the boost up on that T-Trim. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts