Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Charter Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dailey driver Cobra that spends time in in stop and go traffic. I've replaced the clutch cable with a Ford oem clutch cable. That helped reduce the clutch pedal effort. I don't do drag race starts or even autocross stuff. The motor is a 331 stroker with 165 AFR heads, cam and manifolds. Nothing extreme. I had to buy a new knee because I wore the old one out. So, I' m looking for something that is good enough but not too much. Right now I have a Ford Performance clutch kit. I guess I want something that is nice to my new knee. What ya think?

·
Junior Charter Member
326 Posts
Can't give you a conclusive idea of how it feels as i am not on the road yet but i installed a Hydraulic clutch system from Mike Forte on a 408w. Give him a call and explain the situation, good guy to talk to.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I agree. Forte is awesome. I bought the transmission and clutch assembly from him. He walks through the process. Sells you everything you can need to install it. Has tech videos and will help you on the phone. Pics and videos if you should need it. He can sell you any brand or type. He will customize the stuff per your needs and how you answer his questions.

Awesome!

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
A well lubed Ford cable will ease the effort a bit. I used motorcycle chain and cable lube. Stinky, but works well.

Mike Forte also sells a clutch arm extension. It's pretty cheap, easy to install, and actually works pretty well. The trade off is a slightly longer pedal throw.

Hydraulic systems do seem to require less effort. And you can adjust effort vs. pedal throw by changing master and slave cylinders.

If you're going to change the clutch, I would recommend a Centerforce weighted hat. Low effort at low RPM's. And good clamping power at high RPM's.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Don't have rebuilt knees but do have 78 year old ones that have seen extreme duty. Am using a Centerforce Dual Friction with Forte's extension & a FORD cable. Clutch is rated at 687ft lbs & is not very hard on the leg.

·
Junior Charter Member
326 Posts
another factor is how much work are you willing to put into the change? Depending on your existing pedal box a Hydraulic clutch could be a lot of work to install on a finished car. I am in the process of finishing mine and i used a 1995 pedal box in which I had to do extensive fab work to get the master cylinder into the correct position, I also am prone to over thinking and over building soooo.......

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
If you want a feather weight clutch pedal, then a multidisc clutch will do, but they are very expensive.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,709 Posts
I would try Forte's effort reducer. It is a simple extension for the throw out lever that increases the leverage ratio. Simple as a hammer and effective.

·
Charter Member
1,216 Posts
Encourage you to discuss with Mike Forte. I used his effort reducer and it worked and easy to install. I had to remove for 2 reasons, (1) standard clutch cable wasn't long enough, and (2) cable was wearing out nylon fitting that cable passes through - must be something goofy about my set-up. My car spends a lot of time on track so I didn't want to jeopardize track days with broken clutch cable (even though I carry spares). I switched to a SPEC dual clutch set-up and clutch effort is much better (even with no cartilage in left knee). Good luck with your choice.
tim

·
Charter Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw MIke's effort reducer so I'm going to try that. I thought about the multi disc clutch but the toy budget won't allow for that. Switching over to a hydraulic set up would be a nightmare on my early MKII.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts