Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a clutch recommendation. Engine is a 302 making about 450 HP, 157 tooth flywheel, t-5 trans. Car will be used for the street only and maybe some spirited driving through the mountains

Thanks

·
Charter Member
6,164 Posts
if you want it to rev fast, levys quartermaster all al. unit. Drivability is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
18,253 Posts
I used a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch for many years, and I like it. Hooked up well, smooth, no chatter, easy to drive, and light pedal effort. For only 450hp, I'd choose that again in a minute.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Running a Spec Stage II, 8300 miles and no issues.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
SPEC !!
one and done

·
Tool Collector
6,594 Posts
SPEC !!
one and done
X3 on Spec. Just went through the whole Quarter Master fiasco on David H. car. QM is not a good choice for a street car. Spec Stage 1 should be good for your horsepower need but for a few dollars more you can have a Stage 2. The Racers Edge in Costa Mesa stock quite a few Spec clutches.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
I'll pile on...I have a spec stage 2 that lived a long time behind my supercharged 306 (446 rwhp), and still looked great when I reinstalled it last winter behind a dart 347. No idea how many miles are on it...probably 30-40k by now. It sees about 150-ish autocross runs every season too. The pedal effort is on par with my old King Cobra. Engagement is a little more firm, and over a shorter range of pedal throw, but it modulates well. Anybody used to a production car cluch will stall it a few times at first, but once you get the feel, it's not bad. For pure street duty, I might consider a stage 1. :beer:

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
Maybe you posted this elsewhere, but how do you get 450hp out of a non-boosted or stroked 302?

Will it be streetable or is it going to be a bitch to drive at low RPMs when you're just cruising down the road?

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bored and stroked to 331. 11.5:1 compression. Fully CNC'd and port matched. Huge roller cam

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,655 Posts
Another SPEC vote.

I killed two King Cobra's, as I do track and street.

My SPEC stage III has been rock solid so far. But, it's kinda grippy, as it's a track clutch, so go with the stage II

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
you should try the 3+ !! like butter!! way better in feel and effort than the RAM HD clutches in my opinion.

·
Fresh meat
312 Posts
Spec

I beat the ever living wee out of ours. ~485 hp, a couple of track days, 60 or so passes at the strip and 7000 street miles. The Spec stage 2 from TRE in Costa Mesa like Frank has never let me down and has decent feel. I will be buying another when I need it.
Anthony

·
Charter Member
6,164 Posts
Dan, I have 500fwhp out of a 349ci. It needs race fuel though

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
Those are crazy numbers. Bill, will you need 100+ octane?

There isn't anywhere around me to get race gas, so that would be deal killer for me.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Borderline. I plan to change the cam to reduce the dynamic compression

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.