Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to get ahold of Mike Forte by email or by phone. Maybe he'll see this and respond.

I need a recommendation on a clutch to use w/ the new drivetrain I'm putting together. I bought a Valeo clutch from Mike 2 years ago that has performed well for 20,000 miles. I'm looking for something w/ similar pedal effort (low), but able to hold 450HP and still be streetable (not grabby). My car sees 15000+ miles per year, so it has to be reliable too.

If it matters, it's going behind a supercharged 306 w/ billet steel flywheel and will be mated up to a Tremec 3550.

Any recommendations?

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Alot of people like he king cobra and that is what I have. The pedal effort is alot at first, but it seemed to get easier as all the new parts broke in. It supposedly has 2X the grip as stock.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Wade,

While I will not speak for Mike Forte he did supply me with a Valeo unit with my 3550. My engine is a small block 427 with 525 hp and the stated this was a great unit for good performance, low pressure, and long lasting.....

but as you mentioned he may be more specific when he jumps in...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't believe that you'll need to go too radical on the disc material for such a light car. I'll be using the RAM 300 series to test out with a stock Valeo PP. They seem to be ok on a car with up to 400rwhp (in a 3800-4000lb car) but I'll be pushing out about 150rwhp over that (in a 2300lb car). I hate chatter, used to have a copper/fibertuff combo from ClutchNet which handled anything I could throw at it with the stock pp but chatter... whew. Next was the McLeod Twin disc, very expensive, very finnicky, held up to great gobs of power, no chatter, but was a royal PITA to to set-up.
If you plan on lots of 1/4 mile stuff, go for a grabby material, for street and some autocross, use a softer compound. Weight of the vehicle will have a huge impact on the clutch; just as it does on the brakes.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm wondering if there's some kind of marine spec setup you should get, considering the amount of water you see! ;)
RR

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Wade,
I have several to choose from. Most people like an easy pedal and good grip. I use the Cobra clutch kit or a Weber clutch kit. Sometimes a combination of both depending on the transmission spline. Call me tomorow before 2PM EST. I'm taking my 2 children to see Thomas the train at Edaville RR in Carver Ma. I should be very busy with them tomorow.
Mike Forte
781-273-9900
cell 781-248-8946

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.