Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch cable seems too long. I am at the very end of the factory clutch adjustment and it still isn't super tight.
I know everyone will tell me to get an aluminum one, but do I need a shorter cable too? BTW, this is a donor cable that looks like brand new.

[ January 27, 2007, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Matt L ]

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
There's usually a lot of adjustment available at the clutch arm end. Check there before replacing anything.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
I'm confused. If it was too short you would never get it on the quadrant, but you are worried about it slipping off or not being tight enough?

Once it is on the quadrant lift the clutch pedal and it should self tighten. If you cannot get it loaded, lift the clutch pedal and push the quadrant toward the front of the car.

Some place I saw a rumor that non-stock clutches tend to make the cable too long (running out of adjustment).

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by boB:
There's usually a lot of adjustment available at the clutch arm end. Check there before replacing anything.
I see no way to adjust it at the arm. It's just a lever with a hole in it for the cable to drop in. I then checked the Chilton's and saw no reference there either. Am I missing something?

Originally posted by Narve:
I'm confused. If it was too short you would never get it on the quadrant, but you are worried about it slipping off or not being tight enough?

Once it is on the quadrant lift the clutch pedal and it should self tighten. If you cannot get it loaded, lift the clutch pedal and push the quadrant toward the front of the car.

Some place I saw a rumor that non-stock clutches tend to make the cable too long (running out of adjustment).
Post adjusted, yes. I meant too long.

----------------

I just purchased a new clutch cable and it was better, but you can still hear the clutch dragging when you move the car with the clutch ehgaged.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
I'm cheap and found that you can take the stock firewall mount and put shims behind it. If I remember I pulled the rubber bushing off and put the shims behind the nylon portion and then reinstalled the rubber. This shortened the cable enough to work.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
I used an aluminum spacer from Fortes that is used on the "transmission side" of the cable. It worked pretty well. -dan

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by FordManDan:
I used an aluminum spacer from Fortes that is used on the "transmission side" of the cable. It worked pretty well. -dan
Glad to hear this is a "normal" problem.

I was trying to put a little pressure on the quadrant where it holds the spring, thinking it was a good spot, but the plastic must have gotten brittle over the years and it snapped. So now I'll have to order the one above. If that doesn't work, I'll be on the phone with Forte again...

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Matt,
If you need a quadrant kit I sell them for just $50.00 and use the stock cable. If you need a cable I have a bunch of them from the M-7553 A302 kit for just $25.00 each.
I also make a cable spacer as Dan said above.
Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Matt buy the kit. Well worth the money.
I used the alum quadrant with adjustable cable and found a flexing problem due to the rubber spacer on the cable where it goes thru pedal box. I made a alum spacer since the rubber compressed too much. I also added a stiffner to the pedal box since it was flexing some probally from the heavyer then stock pressure plate.

·
Junior Charter Member
823 Posts
Not sure why you have an issue.

Stock cable, clutch, and pedal box. Mine functions exactly like it did in the donor.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by D.Boone:
Not sure why you have an issue.

Stock cable, clutch, and pedal box. Mine functions exactly like it did in the donor.
Lucky you.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Matt...

Don't always shop by price alone...

Many Mustang guys will tell you that the adjustable cables are poor quality and will break with use.

While I'm not practicing what I preach myself at the moment, I would use a billet quadrant designed for the stock cable and a firewall adjuster only...

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Mustang Man:
Matt...

Don't always shop by price alone...

Many Mustang guys will tell you that the adjustable cables are poor quality and will break with use.

While I'm not practicing what I preach myself at the moment, I would use a billet quadrant designed for the stock cable and a firewall adjuster only...

Mark
I think this one is meant to be used with the stock cable.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
According to UPR's catalog it can be used with stock or aftermarket adjustable cable...

Just an FYI for those looking for clutch cables and quadrant replacement parts in the future...

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.