Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I’m pretty new to the online Cobra community. I recently joined this site, the other Factory Five forum, and the Club Cobra forum.

No offense, but Club Cobra seems to offer the largest “wealth” of information, especially in regards to trying to build the most authentic and original looking replicas possible; not that there haven’t been some awesome efforts made and documented here, but there’s just so much MORE of it over there.

But I can’t even post at the Club Cobra forums. I PM moderators and don’t get replies. I post in the few sub-forums that allow me to (like the new member intro area) and don’t get any replies, and then I go to log in this morning only to find that they’re down again, entirely...

One of the biggest things that drew me to those forums was that they’re a wealth of a Weber carburetor info. In fact, they have (had?) a whole sub-forum dedicated to Weber Tuning. But it seems like they’ve lost a lot of traffic in recent years...which makes me wonder where all that traffic went? Is there another Cobra forum that has the same type of original car membership?

I don’t even have a Cobra yet. I plan to order a 289 FIA kit in the next year or so...either F5R or ERA; in the meantime, the motor I am going to use for that kit resides in my ‘68 Mustang, and I am in the process of converting it to an original type Shelby manifold and 48 IDA’s, and I need to find some help. There were a lot of folks advocating the DIY approach over at Club Cobra, as opposed to just shelling out double-dollars to Jim Inglese. So I ordered all the parts and now the site is down. Anybody have any advice for somebody in my shoes?

Thanks,

Casey

·
Premium Member
17,803 Posts
CC can be a bit spotty. There have been some rumors that it was going to close down soon. You are correct, that would be a tremendous loss of knowledge if it does.

There is a greater variety of information on CC, because there are a greater variety of builders and owners. A much greater variety of goals, too. A lot of owners there are not even in North America! Not many FFR builders are shooting for an exact copy of an original. If that's what you want, you should start with something other than a FFR.

FFR builders tend to be talented craftsmen who value good looks, but value function over form. We use colors, parts, and systems that are more modern. We're not afraid to do things our way, push the envelope, and try something unique. We all want a Cobra. But we also want something unique. A Cobra unlike any other on the planet. IMO, most FFR's look better than originals, and certainly perform better.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. ;)

·
Owner
342 Posts
There are a few 'self taught' weber tuners. This is one of the better sites:
Tuning Webers

Took me a couple years to get mine running to the degree I felt they were good. Don't get discouraged. Be prepared to buy a lot of jets and bleeds till you get it right. It's not a journey for the faint of heart, but it can be done.

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CC can be a bit spotty. There have been some rumors that it was going to close down soon. You are correct, that would be a tremendous loss of knowledge if it does.

There is a greater variety of information on CC, because there are a greater variety of builders and owners. A much greater variety of goals, too. A lot of owners there are not even in North America! Not many FFR builders are shooting for an exact copy of an original. If that's what you want, you should start with something other than a FFR.

FFR builders tend to be talented craftsmen who value good looks, but value function over form. We use colors, parts, and systems that are more modern. We're not afraid to do things our way, push the envelope, and try something unique. We all want a Cobra. But we also want something unique. A Cobra unlike any other on the planet. IMO, most FFR's look better than originals, and certainly perform better.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. ;)
I agree with your sentiments. I hope somebody saves the site.

A lot of people knock the F5R kit in terms of originality, but they lump the standard roadster in with the FIA kit, which is, in my opinion anyway, “closer” to the car it’s trying to replicate. The reason I am drawn to the F5R kit is that it’s less than 75% the cost of an ERA, is available in 4-6 weeks, versus 2+ years, and, also in my opinion, is a better platform for using the car the way it was originally intended.

Unlike a lot of F5R builders, I will be going to excruciating details to make the car look more original, but then I’m going to go out and beat the hell out of it.

There are a few 'self taught' weber tuners. This is one of the better sites:
Tuning Webers

Took me a couple years to get mine running to the degree I felt they were good. Don't get discouraged. Be prepared to buy a lot of jets and bleeds till you get it right. It's not a journey for the faint of heart, but it can be done.

Paul
Thanks Paul,

Tim’s site is already bookmarked, and I’ve read through it once prior to getting my hands on the actual carbs/intake. I also have this book, which was highly recommended as the best book for IDA specific information:

I’m working with Redline to get the initial jetting on the carbs close, but then I’m going to be on my own for linkage design, and plumbing (both of which I’ll have to redo when the 289 goes from the Mustang to the Cobra; how’s that for not for the faint of heart!? Thanks for the tips! I do appreciate it.

·
Charter Member
6,146 Posts
Take a look at 2FAST4U's 289 build. His FFR is incredible and very original looking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts