Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, can any body tell me what size cleco clamps are needed and about how many are required to make life easier.

Dose any body know a good supplier??

Thanks Jeff

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts

·
3,760 Posts
You'll be riveting both 1/8" and 3/16", so get some 3/16" inch too. They're cheap. Don't struggle with trying to save $2 by buying 10 less clecos. I bought 50 1/8" and 25 3/16". That adds a lot of flexibility, I'm not riveting any aluminum in until its reallly necessary after everything else is done.

AJ

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Aircraft Spruce, part # M-1/8. I bought about 25-30 and have had plenty. You might consider a few of the 3/16 ones for running the brake and fuel lines.

·
FFR Driver
2,153 Posts
Wow, :eek: I built FFR2302 with 9 Clecos I borrowed from Dior55, one 1/8" drill bit, a vise grip and an old bottle opener. These new Mark III's must be hell to put together.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd suggest using 3/32" clecos for all preliminary alignment work. After drilling each 3/32" hole, secure it with a cleco until you have the entire panel drilled. Start in the middle and work toward the corners. Then go back and remove each cleco in the same order you originally drilled the holes, open the hole up to 1/8" or 3/16" as required, set the rivet and move on to the next hole. It's easier to place the 3/32" holes accurately when drilling virgin metal.

For cleco's and tools, try www.ustool.com

Clecos are $.34 each and the pliers $5.00.

Rick

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Charter Member
128 Posts
Can you purchase them at a local Home Depot, Lowes or autoparts store?

·
7,134 Posts
Best, cheapest place and quick delivery was Aircraft Tool Supply when I was buying in 2003.

I bought two pliers after a tip here, and I always was looking :( for one or the other.

30-50x 1/8 and 20 x 3/16 will keep you happy.

I added a rivet spacer and was real happy about that too, made easy work of accurate spacing.

BTW they do come up as second hand every now and then , saw some on ebay awhile back , and there is an aircraft second hand tool place I found on web(but cannot remember where)

Reread some threads and realised you are down under: Here is a link to a local supplier in NZ
Aeroware NZ They are agents for everyone and I will be suprised if they do not stock Cleco's

·
Junior Charter Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome Thanks guys appreciate all the help and advise.

Jeff

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
I used 1/8" clecos, and I got 100 of 'em. I love em, but I used to be an airframe repairman back in the US Army days (helicopters, in 1970-71), I like to have everything held in place, and I figured I would use them again with my next car! Sometimes my car looked like a porcupine. :D

·
Senior Charter Member
568 Posts
I see where the clecos come in 1/4 or 1/2 inch grip, which ones should I get? Joe

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
The ones I listed from Aircraft Spruce are 1/4" grip. I didn't have the need for anything more than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts