Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We installed the engine and transmision after much effort. A really tight fit. I noticed the bracket that holds the left side coil pack and the power steering fluid tank, is slightly touching the steering shaft. We can trim off the tab or shave it down and still install the bolt. Anyone else run into this issue? If I cut the tab off, there are still are four bolts that attach the bracket to the block. I would attach a picture but my pictures are on my hard drive not stored on a web host. We are using a '96 Cobra 4.6 without any external mods. Pictures attached. Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

· Builder of FFR#5197
1,405 Posts
Not sure about the coil because mine is a different year with coil on plug, but I relocated the PS reservoir to the ds F panel. Just bolts out of the way. No need to let it impede progress. You might also consider engine mount spacers to lift the engine just a smidge. I think I got mine from Whitby's. May not be necessary, but allowed me to get enough clearance.

· Registered
23 Posts
TMsnake. I ran into the same problem with my 98 Cobra engine in a 3.1 build. I did as just as you suggested. Cut the bracket short (removed the tab) and cut down the bolt. No more rubbing of the steering shaft. Besides, the power steering fluid tank does not need all those attachment bolds anyhow. Not much weight there.

- dean

· Registered
354 Posts
I am mounting the Breeze P/S reservoir on the Driver side F panel. I don't need all of that braketry. Anybody use something different than the stock bracket to mount just the coil? Bill

· Charter Member
3,740 Posts
We installed the engine and transmision after much effort. A really tight fit. I noticed the bracket that holds the left side coil pack and the power steering fluid tank, is slightly touching the steering shaft. We can trim off the tab or shave it down and still install the bolt. Anyone else run into this issue? If I cut the tab off, there are still are four bolts that attach the bracket to the block. I would attach a picture but my pictures are on my hard drive not stored on a web host. We are using a '96 Cobra 4.6 without any external mods. Pictures attached. Thanks for the suggestions.
TMsnake,
I would cut of the corner off the bracket at the webbing (at the red line).
See picture below.

· Registered
523 Posts
You might also consider engine mount spacers to lift the engine just a smidge. I think I got mine from Whitby's.
X 2 re the Whitby spacers. Found that they were needed to raise the bottom of the oil pan up to the level of the main frame tubes. Solved the P/S line interference with the steering shaft problem as well.

· Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
On mine, I also tilted the engine to help with clearance. Either raise or lower the driver or passenger side. Just a thought.

Cheers.

· Charter Member
3,740 Posts
TMsnake,
Since people are bring up spacers and tilting, remember the more you tilt or raise the engine, the more you will need to adjust the headers/exhaust pipes.

You might have to just the headers/exhaust pipes up or down to get the side pipes to look level viewing for the side, or cutting more out of the body opening for the side pipes.

Your choice, your build.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Rich A you bring up a good point. I called Factory Five today and they said to trim the bracket. I will make a decision tomorrow. I think I will trim the bracket some.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.