Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you paint raw steel parts, are you clear coating them? What sort of clear coat are you using?

I notice when I use flat/satin black it scratches really easily.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,140 Posts
The flat paint can be hardened by baking in the oven for a while. About 200* for 20-30 minutes usually does the trick. Then let it sit on the shelf overnight before handeling.

You can clear coat over flat. Just make sure that the paint type matches. Otherwise it may wrinkle.

I've found that clear engine enamel yellows quickly when exposed to any kind of heat.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I have had a lot of luck with rustoleum paints. THe paint is thick and durable. They make a clear non-color. Sand the parts first with 220 grit, wipe down with lacquer thinner, and paint right after. You should be fine.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
you can buy an inexpensive home powdercoating system. it's electric, has ground, and i am sure you can get clear. you will need an old electric oven to bake it. a toaster oven will be o.k. if the parts are small. a clear spray paints is wet and has an evaporate. this will likely start small amounts of rust on the part before it evaporates. in time, you will see this rust growing under your clear coat. this will not happen with powder coat becuase it is dry. (but then in time, all metals will rust a little. even aluminum rusts - VERY - little.) check for a home powdercoat system on ebay if interested.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips.
I might try the oven trick, or toaster oven trick. It seems my paints aren't really hardening. Fairly soft. This might be hard to do with stuff like sway bars etc.. but for visible items like door hinges should work well.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.