Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help, this is my first time painting and I went to get my base and clear today and when the counter guy ask which clear I was not sure on which one to get. PPG only has Viking Blue in their shop line paint so which PPG clear is the easiest to work and can be sanded if needed.
Thanks
Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
90 Posts
I don't want to discourage you but I have had no luck with shop line products long term. Maybe Kleiner or one of the guys that does this on the regular could comment on their experience. Last PPG materials I bought were DBC or thier Global lineup products. I don't know if VIking blue is available in Deltron, but they have something like 4700 colors in that lineup.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,277 Posts
My car has PPG Concept clear over Deltron indigo blue base and it’s still perfect after 14 years. I did the cut and buff at home and that went quite easy and very well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to discourage you but I have had no luck with shop line products long term. Maybe Kleiner or one of the guys that does this on the regular could comment on their experience. Last PPG materials I bought were DBC or thier Global lineup products. I don't know if VIking blue is available in Deltron, but they have something like 4700 colors in that lineup.
Viking Blue is only is only available in there shop line or JB line

·
Not a waxer
12,040 Posts
OK, here's your education for the day. PPG's Shopline is sold exclusively through their Platinum Distributors (which is attained by sales volume, training and other benchmarks) but is the same product as their Omni and Omni Plus; i.e. Shopline(JB)=Omni and Shopline Plus(JBP)=Omni Plus. Kind of like Chevy and GMC pickups...they come down the same line and just get a different badge slapped on the tailgate. JB Shopline is the low end, JBP Shopline Plus is the higher end and uses higher strength toners, pearls and faceted metals, a converter and mixing clear. Deltron (DBC) is the premier high end product. For anything but a simple solid color I'd probably take a "pass" on Shopline.

Most cars that I do get JPB Shopline plus. I have cars out there that are 10+ years is and the colors are still as strong as they were on day 1. In my case the customer pays my cost for materials so there is no motivation for me to use a lesser product or one that saves me a buck. Plus is good stuff; if it wasn't I would not use it. I do some in DBC Deltron with the primary reason being one being that some colors are not available in Plus (more on that and how it relates to Viking Blue in a minute). Secondarily, custom colors such as PPG's Vibrance and Charley Hutton lines are only formulated for DBC.

As Bob found, Viking Blue is only formulated in Shopline. It's not unusual for them to only formulate some of these old, low volume obsolete "Dinosaur" colors in limited lines. They do the same with low volume, limited edition exotics...for example I can only get Lamborghini Titanium, Viper GTS blue and the like in the Deltron line. HOWEVER, there is what is called an "offset" for virtually every color which means that PPG's program has run through the spectrum and found about a 99% match with an existing formula. It's nearly impossible for the human eye to see the difference between a color and it's offset unless the two are touching.

An Offset match for Ford Viking Blue (Color Code "E", Ford alphanumeric code M1448, PPG Brand code 12494) is General Motors Light Blue Poly (Color Code "L82, alphanumeric WA8533, PPG Brand code 3753). This one is formulated in DBC Deltron. I suggest that you have 2 ounces mixed, do a spray out and put it under clear to see a real life sample. Note that if you use this formula it needs to go over a G3 undercoat for best coverage and color accuracy (PPG uses a gray scale for undercoats that ranges from nearly white to almost black---G3 will be towards the middle and your supplier can blend your sealer to meet that).

As for clears, which is where this all began! If you want to stay with all PPG I've used their Vibrance Show Clear VC5700 with great results. Good stuff, not inexpensive. Here's another HOWEVER, my go-to for years has been 5 Star 5125 Xtreme.
5125 Glamour HS Klearkote
It's reasonably priced (again, customer pays for materials so there's no motivation for me to use it as a cost saving measure), sprays wonderfully and holds out well...like I said earlier I have cars that are 10+ years in out there. Production shop guys won't recommend it because it's not a fast cure so they can't shoot it in the morning and deliver the car the same afternoon, but that's one of the things I like about it...it keeps laying down for 24 hours.

Here's one from about a week ago; Shopline Plus and 5 Star Clear straight from the gun before cut & buff.

Hope all of that helps and good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, here's your education for the day. PPG's Shopline is sold exclusively through their Platinum Distributors (which is attained by sales volume, training and other benchmarks) but is the same product as their Omni and Omni Plus; i.e. Shopline(JB)=Omni and Shopline Plus(JBP)=Omni Plus. Kind of like Chevy and GMC pickups...they come down the same line and just get a different badge slapped on the tailgate. JB Shopline is the low end, JBP Shopline Plus is the higher end and uses higher strength toners, pearls and faceted metals, a converter and mixing clear. Deltron (DBC) is the premier high end product. For anything but a simple solid color I'd probably take a "pass" on Shopline.

Most cars that I do get JPB Shopline plus. I have cars out there that are 10+ years is and the colors are still as strong as they were on day 1. In my case the customer pays my cost for materials so there is no motivation for me to use a lesser product or one that saves me a buck. Plus is good stuff; if it wasn't I would not use it. I do some in DBC Deltron with the primary reason being one being that some colors are not available in Plus (more on that and how it relates to Viking Blue in a minute). Secondarily, custom colors such as PPG's Vibrance and Charley Hutton lines are only formulated for DBC.

As Bob found, Viking Blue is only formulated in Shopline. It's not unusual for them to only formulate some of these old, low volume obsolete "Dinosaur" colors in limited lines. They do the same with low volume, limited edition exotics...for example I can only get Lamborghini Titanium, Viper GTS blue and the like in the Deltron line. HOWEVER, there is what is called an "offset" for virtually every color which means that PPG's program has run through the spectrum and found about a 99% match with an existing formula. It's nearly impossible for the human eye to see the difference between a color and it's offset unless the two are touching.

An Offset match for Ford Viking Blue (Color Code "E", Ford alphanumeric code M1448, PPG Brand code 12494) is General Motors Light Blue Poly (Color Code "L82, alphanumeric WA8533, PPG Brand code 3753). This one is formulated in DBC Deltron. I suggest that you have 2 ounces mixed, do a spray out and put it under clear to see a real life sample. Note that if you use this formula it needs to go over a G3 undercoat for best coverage and color accuracy (PPG uses a gray scale for undercoats that ranges from nearly white to almost black---G3 will be towards the middle and your supplier can blend your sealer to meet that).

As for clears, which is where this all began! If you want to stay with all PPG I've used their Vibrance Show Clear VC5700 with great results. Good stuff, not inexpensive. Here's another HOWEVER, my go-to for years has been 5 Star 5125 Xtreme.
5125 Glamour HS Klearkote
It's reasonably priced (again, customer pays for materials so there's no motivation for me to use it as a cost saving measure), sprays wonderfully and holds out well...like I said earlier I have cars that are 10+ years in out there. Production shop guys won't recommend it because it's not a fast cure so they can't shoot it in the morning and deliver the car the same afternoon, but that's one of the things I like about it...it keeps laying down for 24 hours.

Here's one from about a week ago; Shopline Plus and 5 Star Clear straight from the gun before cut & buff.

View attachment 364355

Hope all of that helps and good luck!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts