Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search on "cleaning silicone aluminum" and turned up nothing? I was wondering the best method for cleaning the silicone off my panels when it's dry? I tried a Scotch Brite and WD-40 which eventually works but is real slow. I read some posts that said to let it dry then peel it off, but I'm thinking it may be better to use a rag slightly dampened with Acetone when it's still soft?

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake Cleaner shoulda known, that stuff cleans just about everything in the known universe

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
The best solvent for UNCURED silicone is denatured alcohol. There really isn't a solvent for cured silicone, but it will come off with mechanical abrasion. Best bet is to clean as you go with the denatured alcohol.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Joe.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Carb cleaner, Bob

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Beleive it or not, but I have the best luck just rubbing it off with my fingers - kinda like an eraser.

·
2,860 Posts
Good old fashion...Mineral Spirits!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Laquer thinner here. No matter what is used it takes some amount of rubbing. In certain spots of my build I took extra care to remove(rag+laquer thinner) uncured silicone on certain panels since I knew it would need to be removed in the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts