Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waxed the car and found the top surface not to be smooth when you run a rag over it. so I got a clay bar kit and used it for the first time, very simple to use. You can feel the "traction" on the paint go away immedietly, now the rag will fall off the car by itself its so smooth, no scratches. I use a "california duster"[here we go again] all the time and that may have contributed to the paint roughness, now it looks and feels like it just came out of Jeff Millers shop. By the way, its about 80 here today, had to resort to shorts !!

·
Senior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you run a rag/your hand over your paint when it is clean and it is not perfectly smooth it has contaminants in it. The kit consists of a "clay bar" which looks like a large piece of "silly putty" and a lubricant, sort of like Windex ? You spray on the luricant [clean car] and rub back and forth, you will immediently feel the "bar' smooth out. After that wax and it, is so smooth that the rag will slide off the car on all but a flat surface. Washing a factory five car is hard, so I wax frequently, and use the Cal Duster, this seems to solve the long term problem of doing that.

·
5,206 Posts
Checkers, Auto zone Take your choice. McGuiars, Mothers, or others make the kit. It consists of a piece of clay and a detailer spray. You must keep the area under the clay wet for it to work.

Mike

·
Charter Member
333 Posts
Most of the kits sold in the auto stores have a clay bar the size of hotel soap. I'll try to find the link for the "good stuff"

·
8,329 Posts
I've been using clay bars for several years, works wonder at getting polution, tree sap, overspray, etc off the paint.

Word of advice, don't use the whole bar at the same time, brake off smaller pieces and kneed them until soft. If you drop the bar on the ground you need to toss it, it will pick up the ground grit and then scratch the heck out of your paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts