Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it even worth my while to get a mustang based Chiltons manual?

Not much of my build will be Mustang based at all.

I am going with FFR lower control arms, a Carbed Stroked 351W, Independant rear, Cobra R brakes, etc, etc...about the only Mustang part I need to secure is a pedal box. I'll have the painless wiring, or similar, and an MSD ignition.

If you all think a manual is still recommended...does anyone who is finished their build want to sell theirs?

:cool:

Neill

·
Charter Member
82 Posts
On this same topic, are there any other companies that make good manuals for the Mustangs other than Chilton... Haynes?

·
Registered
322 Posts
FWIW, any books are better than no-books. The Chilton was good for me because I went the donor route. For EFI, I went to amazon.com and got this book. More than you need is explained there.

"Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control : All Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Cars and Light Trucks 1988 to 1993"

Amazon caries a lot of titles on Mustang 5.0s. I believe $50 worth of books is a good investment. In my case, I got the Chiltons manual, the How to tune/modify the 5.0, and the Ford FI and EEC book.

They are as valuable as the forum and available 24x7.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
I have the haynes...and don't see it being that much help when I do the teardown.

Most of it is very mustang-centric. Some is good if you don't know much about cars. How to change the disk brakes, u-joints etc. For teardown, I doubt it'll be much help at all.

-steve in nj-

·
FFR 4331
1,114 Posts

·
1,589 Posts
I have both the Haynes and Chiltons. While normaly I don't like Chiltons manuals, in this case it is WAY better than the Haynes. The Haynes I have does not even have the ohm values to check the fuel level sender. The Haynes covers too many years and models while the Chiltons is based more on the 87-93 models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts