Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my roadster on the road since 2007. This past year because of odds and ends I didn't get it registered. So on the lift it sits.
NYS, you use to be able to get a car registered and then get a 10 day sticker so you can have time to get it inspected.

Now you have to get it inspected BEFORE you can get it registered..... This must be a cash cow for the police spotting you travelling to the inspection station!!!

Who was the bright one who changed this procedure.... Not everyone has a trailer to get a car to a shop then get the paperwork done to register even a piece of crap..
Who has run into this situation either with a FF5 or a regular car??

Thus,, which came first the chicken or the egg and which one is what?????

any feedback???

·
Registered
420 Posts
NYS needs to have a valid safety inspection before they'll issue a registration.

I tried to renew mine last week and couldn't do it online. At the DMV I was advised that the inspection had been incorrectly filed. Luckily they were able to fix it and issue the new registration.

Once you're on the road that's typically not a problem because you'll still have a valid inspection by the time your registration expires. If you let both expire, you'll have to get your car to an inspection site via trailer - unless you can find a friendly dealer to lend you his dealer tags.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had my roadster on the road since 2007. This past year because of odds and ends I didn't get it registered. So on the lift it sits.
NYS, you use to be able to get a car registered and then get a 10 day sticker so you can have time to get it inspected.

Now you have to get it inspected BEFORE you can get it registered..... This must be a cash cow for the police spotting you travelling to the inspection station!!!

Who was the bright one who changed this procedure.... Not everyone has a trailer to get a car to a shop then get the paperwork done to register even a piece of crap..
Who has run into this situation either with a FF5 or a regular car??

Thus,, which came first the chicken or the egg and which one is what?????

any feedback???
I was told they only give out a 10 day on a new registration, not a renewal. This was for a vehicle other than the cobra. You are right, they said it was my problem to get it to the inspection station.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had to rent a truck and trailer for one of my kit cars. Sorry, I wish I had a better answer, but I do not know NY laws.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Changed it to the same in my state too. (NC). Procedure is to get a temp. 15 day tag, inspect it, get it registered. At registration they collect all back taxes including property. If they won't give you a temp. tag, talk to a motor vehicle inspector.

·
Cobra Builder
1,718 Posts
Ironically, I'm in the same boat with my other summer only car (Miata) in NYS. I'll be making the run under the cloak of darkness to the inspection station.

Where are you located in NYS?

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts