Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a hot wheel of a Cobra from a co-worker that I like the way the stripes look on it. It looks exactly like the Chevy Chevelle stripes as shown here. Forgive the bowtie appearance. Has anyone done these type of stripes on a Cobra and if so can someone post an actual photo if they have one. The hot wheel is only so good for visualization

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Would that make it a Cobravelle or a Chevcobra?

·
10,171 Posts
No.. it just ain't right...
Man, you ask, well kinda..... but for the life of me , I don't understand why people buy Cobra's and then try to make them not Cobra's...

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Alex Sliment:
Would you stop them on the hood and trunk lid? That would look kind of odd wouldn't it?
Yes it would look odd when setting beside a Cobra with original style stripes. Several do things to make the car their own. I like the stripe but not sure how it would look on a Cobra. It looks pretty nice on the "Hot Wheel"

There are those that like the Bowtie drive and even fewer on the Mopar route so why not a different graphic.

I did not figure most would like it and I am not a Chevy guy. I just think the stripes ending as it does on the Chevelle would be and interesting look. I am no purist but maybe more a uniqueist. (Is that a word?)

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
Originally posted by RACERAL:
Man, you ask, well kinda..... but for the life of me , I don't understand why people buy Cobra's and then try to make them not Cobra's...
and i always wonder why people buy a cobra and try to keep it as original as possible. i think strips on just the hood would be sweet you could even make them fade out as they reach the glass. JMO

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
No thanks. Nice on a Chevelle though. I have seen Cobras with that paint scheme and they have not been widely duplicated or replicated.

And, yes, uniqueist is not a word, certainly not a good word. You could be: unique or maybe just exclusive, exceptional, inimitable, distinctive, matchless, rare or maybe just irreplaceable.

Good luck and have fun.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Webster:
Replica:
Etymology: Italian, repetition, from replicare to repeat, from Late Latin, from Latin, to fold back — more at reply
Date: 1824
1: an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist <a replica of this was painted…this year — Constance Strachey>
2: a copy exact in all details <DNA makes a replica of itself> <sailed a replica of the Viking ship>; broadly : copy <this faithful, pathetic replica of a Midwestern suburb

[ October 17, 2007, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Lex ]

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Originally posted by RACERAL:
...and I dont understand why everyone think's there buying/building a cobra...they are not.

flame on...and please know I'm just stirring the pot....i "love" you guys.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Since you asked "NO"

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
Wait a minute, let me get my popcorn.

·
Mountain Snake
701 Posts
Something like this?

Stefan

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
my gosh, it's just another hot rod...It'll never be a "real" cobra..stripe it the way you want

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
They look good on a Chevelle because they flow correctly with the body lines and where the hood/trunk end. They don't look right on a Cobra because the body lines are totally different. On the car pictured above, they end abruptly and don't follow the contour of the fishmouth.

But it's your car. Paint/build it any way you want.

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by 2FAST4U:
They look good on a Chevelle because they flow correctly with the body lines and where the hood/trunk end. They don't look right on a Cobra because the body lines are totally different. On the car pictured above, they end abruptly and don't follow the contour of the fishmouth.

But it's your car. Paint/build it any way you want.
Well I agree on the one above it does not follow the openings. I would want it to flow like it does on Chevelle which would mean the stripes would probably point opposite that on the chevelle to contour with the opening on the front. And like the above it would also need a 1/4" to 1/2" outline stripe.

I knew this would end up in a battle of words and ideas but I wanted to mainly see if anyone has done it and if they would post photos so I can say after seeing on somthing Other than the little hot wheel.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Robert-
Another idea would be to have someone Photoshop a car the way you want.

[ October 17, 2007, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: 2FAST4U ]

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Aesthetically, the stripes could end at the windshield and restart behind the cockpit, following the lines of the car. Chevelles did that, too.

I have to ask about the validity of stripes on a street car that never competes in a professional manner. The purist in me asks, "Aren't they racing stripes?"

But I have to admit, I had stripes on my '66 Mustang notchback, to GT350 specs.

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Decided to post the actual photo of the Hot Wheel. I noticed Hot Wheel used these same stripes on a couple of other colors as well. Since these are not the true stripes of the original maybe the guy painting the stripes was a Chevy guy. :confused:

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
I don't know, but the hood fit looks similar to my old Mark I. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts