Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of a hinged fuse panel that I made for my car. I can not take credit for the idea because my friend John W. suggested it. Thank you John!!!! The panel is mounted to the bottom of the custom bracket I am making for my willwood pedal assembly. Right now it swings up and attaches using a thumb screw and then can swing down so you can see all of the fuses very easily.

Here are a couple of shots from the top of the foot box.

Here is a picture looking at if from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did my Painless harness that way on 3524 but I used duel hinges so the panel would swing below the dash when installed. Just make sure you have clearence for the windshield bolt in the retracted position ..... it will be VERY tight.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I went to the junkyard a couple of days ago and pulled a couple of hinged fuse box brackets from a couple of Taurus's. They have the same shape fuse box as the Mustang and latch in three different positions.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes my knees clear by about 1 inch. Here is a picture of the fuse panel with it in the up position.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another picture from further back in the drivers seat. It may be a little more knee room than 1 inch but I have not tried it with the pedals mounted to see if there is going to be clearence problems with my knees then. Hmmmm I will have to check that out today with the seat and everything in again.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I did my fusebox the same way. To hold it up I used a strong kitchen cabinet magnetic latch mounted to the 3/4" tube on the outside of the drivers box. There's no nuts to take off to drop it.

No problems with leg clearance, although you can plainly see it if you're standing behind the car. The dash doesn't cover it up.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Sweet! Great idea, there I go!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Very nice! Love all the rubber gromets also that the wiring goes thru. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fred

Thanks I really like the magnet idea! I am going to switch the thumb screw out for that.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
That looks very nice. Far more engineered than mine. I agree with Ozona a bit. Be careful about clearance; your box is hangin' a little low. I assume that when you mention you are using wilwood pedals, they are floor mounted? Otherwise, where is the room for the install?

I took a page out of Russ Thompson's book. I made a pivoting bracket that recesses inside of the mustang pedal box and would provide extra clearance:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked for clearance problems and there are no problems at all with the seat and pedals installed. So everything looks great! I still need to replace the thumb screw with the magnet idea that was proposed earlier in the thread.

Thanks everyone!

·
Charter Member
1,102 Posts
Fred,
If the magnet fails to hold during aggerssive driving (e.g. track event), do you have proper leg clearance to apply the brakes?
Robert

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.