Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished making the front brake lines. Don Deponte did the same thing on a car that he brought to Knotts a couple of years ago and I copied that design so I can not take credit for it. I got the list of fittings and other items needed for the lines from Don and they turned out great. Thank you Don!!! I am using a willwood pedal box which will be mounted up in the driver side foot box. That is why you will see a 90* fitting heading into the footbox.

I am now working on the rear brake lines. I will post some pics of those when they are finished.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Dan Z I think I met you at Knotts this year. You should come up some time and we can do some cobra talk over a few cold ones.
BTW you do nice work on your car as well.

I had the powder coating done localy for $650 and they powder coated a bunch of other stuff as well. Let me know if you are interested and I will send your their contact info.

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Paul, that's one sweet ride you're brewing there!

What is the finish on your aluminum panels?

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LuisO I used scotchbright on the aluminum panels and then I had them clear anodized. The color of the panels almost matches the powder coat on the frame. The anodizer only charged me $150 for all of the panels. I missed a few so I need to bring him some more and he has a $50 minimum.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Sweet!
How did you manage the "streak" lines so straight? Was that freehand or did you use a straightedge or what....gimme your technique! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LuisO I used 3 new 6 foot sections of straight stainless steel tube. Here is the link to the site where I got them. Stainless steel tubes

Also I put the 37* flairs on the lines using a Rigid flaring tool.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Great info but I'm talking about the scotch brite and the panels streak lines :D

My lines will look similar to yours, SS, AN fittings I got from Pure Choice Motorsports....where did you get the 37* Ridgid tool from, BTW.

·
3,875 Posts
Looking very nice Paul, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Don

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don thanks for all of your expert advice! When this car is done you will see a lot of you in this completed project. You are the man when it comes to Cobras!!!!!! The big question is will you be able to be un-biased when you judge my car at a car show.
Ahh heck with that and just give me the trophy.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
Really really nice job,

but be very careful with aluminum fittings on a brake system, My advice would be to keep an close eye on those fittings for cracks because aluminum compression fittings have a very low maximum pressure (like 150 psi and a brake system can reach over 1500 psi...)

I was strongly advised never to use them on brake lines systems because they aren't always certified for hydraulic use and they don't have a long fatigue life at high pressure.

but fatigue cracks are probably never going to occur on a such a low mileage car model as a cobra.

just be carefull ;)

really nice job

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LuisO I do not know, I just take my time on all of the things I do on the car. That is probably why it has taken me over two years to get to this point. It is kind of embarassing that I have been working on the car this long but I am happy with the progress, and the luck I have had with the car and the way things have turned out so far. I did do all of the streaks by hand and I run the scotchbright pad all the way off of the panel back and forth on each stroke. Kind of a pain but it looks good when it is done.

Hey I have seen your car and it is very nice and you are quite the craftsman yourself. I can not remember where I got the Rigid flaring tool but I will take a look at my receipts and see if I can find it. Also thank you for some of the excellent advice that you have given me on my build it is very much appreciated.

[ July 03, 2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: SnakeBoy ]

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Snakeboy... looking good!! Keep at it!
Ken

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
RIP,

The reasons you can use an aluminium fitting in a hydraulic system for an airplane : the hydraulic system on an airplane has a pressure limit valve (ie 20 mpa) and a brake system doesn't, that means the brake system is not protected from high pressure peaks like in hard braking.

the second reason the can use them is that they are methodically inspected and changed
after so many hours of flight so they don't have time to start craking.

hopes this help

Nick

·
3,875 Posts
Chuck & Arachnyd:
Before I went with the aluminum AN fittings I did some research on racing applications and then this morning I called Earl's again to double check this and there have been no know failures of aluminum AN fittings in a brake system.
Don

[ July 08, 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Don DePontee ]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts