Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a pic of my 3.55 rear end gears after install. The install was alot of fun. Pattern looks pretty good, no? I think we nailed it the first time, lucky for me....

Chris.

·
OT Moderator
14,364 Posts
That's a tight looking rear end. No play.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Chris; I take it you installed them yourself?? Any tips for someone who's considering this job, but never done one before??
ed

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Chris it should be ok with no noise when running down the road. You used a ford gear set did'nt you. What was your final back lash setting? I'm finding no more then .010" to work well in these cars. As you descovered swapping out gear sets is not the mystery job some make it out to be and having a gear mesh chart showwing the correct pattern to compare when useing marking compound lets you "see" how your set up will turn out. Good job.
Ed,as for tips a couple of things that may help.
If replacing the bearing on the pinion shaft,save the old one once removed and use a sanding drum or dremmel tool to open up the i.d. of the bearing. Doing this allows you to check and r and r gears without the need to press bearing in and off. Save the old crush collar to use when assembling rear to check but also save the old pinion nut or replace with regular nut that is a non locking nut and by useing a small amount of valve lapping compound and air impact wrench run the nut onto the old pinion gear till the threads of nut are "lapped" enough so it screws and unscrews onto the new pinion gear easily. Doing this allows you do do liitle more then hand tighten the nut against old cruch sleeve so checks can be made and disassembly if needed does not require useing a new sleeve and nut. If not having a pinion depth measuring tool.
Start with the original pinion shim that was in the rear,set backlash too .010" and then check with marking compound. Compare the pattern to the sheet showing correct pattern wanted and also shows if pinion gear too high or too low. Make you shim change if needed based on pattern. Only change shim size by .002" at a time till correct size is found.Always set back lash before checking gear pattern. Always do final check after new parts,bearing,crush sleeve are installed. Have a inch pound tq. wrench with scale not click type to set bearing preload. Couple tips you may find helpfull.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Nice work Chris,it took me a few tries with the Richmong setup to get that good of a pattern.
My second rebuild used all Ford parts and was able to get an excellent pattern on the first try.
You know what I'll be using if I rebuild another one.
Paul M.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did use a Ford gearset, dumb luck on my part that it was. Were I doing it again, I would for sure make a point of using Ford gears, I've heard several times now that the job is easier than with another brand. That was my experience this time also. HS, backlash was .008

1 - 6 of 6 Posts