Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I always liked the look of the radiator tab on ERA's so I figured I would fab something up for my MK4. I started with some extra aluminum from my Breeze fan shroud. I got three 1/4-20X1/2" stainless buttonhead allenheads with stainless washers and nylock nuts. I got a stainless fender washer 1-1/4 OD and drilled the center hole to 3/8". I got 2 rubber washers 1-1/2" OD and punched the center hole 3/8". For the radiator pin, I spotted the hose nipple off of my EFI intake in the tool box and cut the end off and drilled two 1/8" holes for cotter pins to hold it in. I could spin something up in the lathe but this was quicker and looks pretty good I think. I have Breezes radiator cover to mount this to, its not functional but it looks the part. Heck, most people dont know what it is anyway, it just looks like it belongs there like the originals. The aluminum scrap got cut to 2-3/8" X 3-5/8" and was bent to fit the radiator cover. I have a Russ Thompson cover on my MK 1 which I will probably make one for which will allow for a little larger piece more like the originals. I will add the pics to this thread when done. So here is what I came up with and the last pic was my inspiration.

Mike

· Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
That is absolutely BRILLIANT!!! I've been wanting to add that to my build and this is the perfect way to do it. Please link this over to the "modifications for originality" forum.

· 2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,825 Posts
Nice mod. I noticed that tab on John's slabside thread...nice touch of originality. Looks like the bug is going around...

· Registered
926 Posts
This it too cool, I’ve been looking at this on mine working on a functional mount like this for some time now. I think this will work a lot faster and easier than what I was working on and still give the same results. Thanks for the post and all the information on this. I can’t wait to see your next one.
Did I mention this is a really cool MOD? It is……..
:thumbup:

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I had to beat Chris to something!!! He did all the cool vintage mods to his and posted them up. It was a couple evenings as time in the garage is limited with 2 toddlers running around the house! I will post up the next one I do for the MK-1 with Russ's radiator cover. The lip is a little longer on that one which will more closely match the original one. I suppose a narrower bracket might look longer, as this one is more squarish. Thanks for the kind words.

Mike

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
You should add this to the originality sub forum. Excellent job

· FFCobra Fanatic
2,273 Posts
Heck, most people dont know what it is anyway, it just looks like it belongs there like the originals...
Include me in that group. From the look of the piece, I'm assuming it replicates a radiator support on the originals. The tube was attached to the rad and was held in place by the cotter pin. Am I at least close?

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Include me in that group. From the look of the piece, I'm assuming it replicates a radiator support on the originals. The tube was attached to the rad and was held in place by the cotter pin. Am I at least close?
Original Cobras used the radiator from a 1964 SB Corvette. That was the method of holding the radiator in. There are two more on the bottom. That's why you see the upper hose coming to the engine from the driver's side (typical Chevrolet). Also, the early 289's used an expansion tank manufactured by Harrison, also from the same Corvette model/year.

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got it, some of the new car radiators have a similar mount with the pin sitting in a rubber bushing. ERA also had side mount radiators with the pegs on the sides. This is the one I always remembered seeing.

Mike

· Registered
130 Posts
...ERA also had side mount radiators with the pegs on the sides. This is the one I always remembered seeing.
Mike
Nope. ERA radiators never had side mounts. The only radiator mount change was from two pins on the top and rubber channels on each side of the bottom (brass radiator) to the current single-top-pin/twin-bottom pins (aluminum radiator).

· FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope. ERA radiators never had side mounts. The only radiator mount change was from two pins on the top and rubber channels on each side of the bottom (brass radiator) to the current single-top-pin/twin-bottom pins (aluminum radiator).
Hey Bob, thats what I meant, a pin on each side on the top!! Thanks for the clarification though.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.