Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a comfortable seat to replace the little torture chambers that FFR supplies with the kit. I looked at the Sube clubman seat but didn't find it to be very comfortable. Beside that seat and some plastic racing buckets, there aren't many options that fit in the vehicle properly. So I decided to take matters into my own hands, and design and build my own seat that is designed specifically for the FFR roadster. (It only makes sense, since I do this for a living)

I started by measuring out the complete interior, and transferring the dimensions to a full-scale drawing. I then used the "centerline of occupant" contours from a project that I was working on at work. The project was to create a seat that incorporated contours that were designed using the latest technology and info from research on the contours of the body. The contours were designed to evenly distribute the weight of the body over a larger area of the seat, eliminating any pressure points. The lumbar area was designed to lock the pelvis in place, and take pressure off of the spine. The end result of the project was a very comfortable seat that was not only comfortable for me, but for our computerized pressure mapping system as well.

I positioned the centerline contours in the package drawing as far rearward as possible to gain as much legroom as possible. I then designed the rest of the seat to fit inside of the interior package. IT was important to have seat that fit in the car straight. After I completed the rest of the design, I modeled foam pads of the back and cushion from the drawings. I then placed them in the car to see how they fit, and get a feel for how high or low I sat in the seat, and how I was positioned front to rear. After evaluating the first design, I made some changes. I moved the CL of the back rearward about an inch, and I dropped the cushion insert about an inch to drop me lower in the seat. When I lowered the seat cushion insert, I left the height in the front of the cushion to give some thigh support.
First design

revised design

I modeled another set of foam pads to the revised design, and started the pattern development for the trim covers. I developed the preliminary covers, built up the seat, and brought it home to set in the vehicle, and see how it felt. I was very pleased with the comfort of the seat, and had some other people sit in it, and tell me what they thought. All feedback was positive. The seat fit in the car straight, and the seat clears the emergency brake mech. Both the cushion and back have ¼ inch rods that run through the cushion and back bolsters that really support the foam. The cushion incorporates a cloth suspension material designed to take the shock of bumps, and lets the occupant move up and down slightly in the seat. Most modern passenger cars utilize this type of seat suspension. It worked out really nice in my seat. Next will be seat heaters. Both of my seats will have adjustable seat heaters and leather.
Here is where I am today.

·
7,714 Posts
Great looking seats!!!!!!!! Now for the big question. Will you be selling these seats and do you have a price worked up yet????????

Ray

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
That is a great looking seat. Does it provide more lateral support for autocrossing? You should sell these! I'll give you the web page sapce, just sell them!

·
6,559 Posts
Dan,

Very cool! I'm not even on the road yet and not looking forward to the FFR seats. I really like your seats but I have a skinny butt and need a bit more to keep me from floppin around. Can you do something like this?

·
Charter Member
40 Posts
The seat looks great!

Have you thought about adding a removable head rest. Getting rear ended and hitting my head on the roll bar doesn't appeal to me.

Is there any chance of you finding a manufacturer to build a run of them?

Henry

·
Senior Charter Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,
YES! Much more support than the stock seat, but not as much as the racing seats. (on purpose)
Thank you kindly for the webspace offer.

Todd,
I could do something like that but choose not to. That was the main reason I had to design my own seat, because all of the seats that are offered in the aftermarket are built like that.

Henry,
I do not plan on adding a headrestraint in my personal seats. I guess a pad could made that attaches to the roll bar to protect the head.
IF I were to have multiple seats built I would look at offering this option.

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: Platinum ]

·
6,559 Posts
Dan,

Still like yours best as they are designed for our cars. How would they install?

·
541 Posts
I had an opportunity to sit in the prototype, very comfortable. Should be great on a long haul, you sink in and your back is supported (no more pressure on the tail bone). Seat footprint is probably smaller than the seats that came standard. They fit in the car straight (no angle one way or the other) and theres no more interference with the parking brake. There is still plenty of space on the outside of the seat for a brake handle (if you do the fiero driver side set up). Theres a good change the seats will be in a couple of cars at DVSF II for inspection.
I like the idea about having a head restraint attaching to the roll bar as a seat continuation - it would also keep the wind off your neck on cooler drives.
Looking forward to seeing more on this product soon!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,486 Posts
Would you let me know if you decide to offer your seats for sale. I'm not to keen on using the FFR seats and yours look like they might be the best option.

Thanks.

Jim Doak
FFR 2117

·
Senior Charter Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Todd,
Installation should be easy. (I haven't permanently instaled one yet. Just set the seat in the car to sit in it :D ) The cushion frame is designed to use the adjustable track that Summit racing sells for 27.00. Track on Drivers side only. The holes are pre drilled for this track. Next step will be to see if the track placement will interfere with something underneath the floor pan, but haven't got that far yet.

Jim,
I'll keep you posted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts