Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cheap seats, worth the money?

I'm looking to replace the seats in my FFR and a TR8 and started looking at the usual suspects, Sparco, Recaro, Corbeau, etc. Nice seats, but not quite ready to drop $1500-$2000 on two sets. So I go to ebay and find a ton of really good looking seats at incredibly low prices...

New 2 Black Leather Red Stitch Racing Seats Reclinable All Nissan | eBay $297 pair, shipped

Red Stitch Black Leather Sport Style Racing Seats Scion TC XB | eBay $234 pair, shipped

New LH RH Pair Black Grey Suede Cloth Bucket Racing Sport Seats Acura Universal | eBay $339 pair, shipped

It's hard to ignore those seats at those prices, but it's also hard to tell without seeing them in person what the quality is. The pics look nice. Durability, comfort, support, who knows? As for fitment in our cars, I haven't even gotten that far, still at the point of determining suitability.

Has anyone had any experience with this general category of cheap seats, good or bad? And please spare me the, "you get what you pay for" routine. I'm just looking for real first person, hands on experiences. Thanks.

Tom

· FFCobra Craftsman
25,999 Posts
When I was looking at seats I saw a lot like them too and was tempted. I didn't bite however and am glad I didn't. The problem w/ all these seats in an FFR is the thickness of the seat back. Every inch of thickness means you lose an inch of legroom if all else is equal. So I went w/ an aluminum seat. maybe you should try a pair for the TR8, which I suspect has more room, but drop one if the FFR to see how it works there.

· Registered
846 Posts
I dont have any experience with these seats but they look nice. Its really hard to know how or even if they will fit until you try them. I might suggest the cloth since vinyl (or fake leather) will get really hot in the sun.
Tom

· Registered
63 Posts
One feature you'll find on the more expensive brands is a rotary knob that allows for infinate adjustment of the seat's back. The links on the ones you've listed all semm to have the cheaper latching mechanism (but then so do most cars...).

Bob

· Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
I too was looking at all of those a while back, and didn't bite either. You can make any of them fit, and they should be a good seat considering how much actual seat time most of these cars see. The danger I had was that if I didn't like them, it would cost a crapload to return them. If you can find a comparable name brand to check fit and measurements, that might be the way to go first, if you can get them locally.

I'm sure you know this already, but there are some OEM seats that will fit, like the Miata's, and probably others.

· Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah fit is always an issue in these cars, no matter the make and model. Craig, I did consider the Kirkey type aluminum shell, but it's difficult to get enough padding to satisfy my butt. I currently have fiberglass racing shells in the TR8 and I always have to remember to remove my wallet before any drive of any distance.

I also looked at the Miata and Fiero seats, but they are usually covered in velour or other tacky material and by the time you have them recovered you've paid the price of Sparco's.

Anybody actually see one of these seats or better yet, sat in them?

Tom

· Junior Charter Member
1,396 Posts

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
If you want to know what those seats are like, wander on down to the local Pep Boys. Or check out the local tuner shop. You'll find those seats in a lot of Boy-Racer, rice-burner cars.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Cheap seats are cheap. They look and feel cheap, and they don't last long. I learned a long time ago that I can't afford cheap parts.

I'v been doing a lot of seat shopping over the last week. IMO, the best inexpensive seat for day to day use is probably the Cobra Clubman. They used to be a factory option from FFR, and I've been sitting in them for years. If you're loking for a good street performance and occasional track seat, that's what I would recommend.

· Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Elise seats look very nice, but for $900 I'm back in the Sparco, Recaro market.

Bob, thanks for the lead. I'm going to check out the local Pep Boys as soon as I can. I had a set of FFR high backs (Clubman knockoffs) on my previous car and they turned purple in no time so I'm a little skittish.

BTW, you have violated my "you get what you pay for" rule and therefore I have no choice but to pull your Harbor Freight card.:D

Tom

· Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.