Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,725 Posts
I saw these the other day and went bug eye myself.

JQ

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hmmm. S'pose they alter the overall axle width as much as the PSEs? I'd love to have the choice to run pin drives on a 3-link without having to chop up an axle assembly...

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Wow that is a pretty smoking deal. There has to be a reason for the huge price difference. The Trigos are $400 per wheel and $800 for the full adapter kit. If I were going to consider these wheels, I'd call and find out the materials used; i.e. forged spinners or not, hardened pins and hubs, etc.

·
Registered
858 Posts
"Vintage Wheels" is a company that is hugely popular in the restoration market.

Their reputation for quality is excellent. I have bought numerous reproduction wheels from them in the past and the workmanship was awesome.

If I did not already have these Trigos, I personally would buy from them in a heartbeat.

td

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Dang! The wheels alone are only $45 bucks more than I just paid for used PSEs! (minus the knock off adapters of course) These folks are going to put a serious hurt on Phil and Trigo if they keep these prices.
Wonder if they're going to make bolt-ons too?

·
Registered
181 Posts
"Still require 2.5" per side narrowed rear axle assembly."

Larry, is this true for the MKIII chassis also?

Mike

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Mike Kilian asked:
Still require 2.5" per side narrowed rear axle assembly."

Larry, is this true for the MKIII chassis also?
The Mk III provides for a 315 wide tire. Meaning there is more space between the fender and the frame.

The FFR web site says
Wider rear body flare (1”) and narrowed steel frame to allow 315/17 tires OR 295/50/15 tires
So, with the extra 1" clear at the fender, to clear the 3.5" backspace pin drive (3.125" effective backspace with 3/8" thick adapter) the Fox width rear would only need to be narrowed 1.5" per side instead of the conventional 2.5" as on the Mk II and Mk I bodies.

Still wanting someone to tape measure their Mk III body between the rear fender well openings. The Mk II is 70.5" at that point. If the Mk III tapes 72.5", then the change was implemented.

Any Mk III guys with tape measures out there?....

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,123 Posts
Okay Larry,

Here is a measurement from outside lip to outside lip (not the best angle on the picture):

Looks like 71-1/8 inches. You may need to add a little due to the inward slope of the lip on the outside.

HTH.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
One hell of a deal. If I hadnt just bought a set of used Trigos I would be all over that!

Has anyone checked out over on clubcobra on quality, experiences etc?

This should have a positive influence on the market, for us consumers at least!

·
Registered
439 Posts
What would I have to do to make them fit a MKII IRS five lug standard width on the rear and Fox Spindles with 5 lug lincolns on the front? Vee 1 or Vee 2? What size tires could I run? Would I have to narrow the rear by getting shorter drive shafts?

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Thank you.

Well that's not 72 1/2.

Based on similar measurement 70.5" on a Mk II, the Mk III is 71 1/8...a gain of 1 3/8" total, or 11/16" per side.

Which means the narrowing for a Fox is 2 8/16 less 11/16 or 1 13/16 needed removed to clear the pin drive backspace rims.

Richard Oben said:
This is not correct numbers.
Yes, Richrad, you are right. The difference between 70.5" Mark II and 71.125" Mark III fender width on a Mark II is more like 5/8" total or 5/16" per side. Hardly enough to get excited about. So we leave the 2.5" narrowing the same for Mk I, Mk II, and Mk III.

Not sure on the newer ones (98-04), I hear they are wider yet.

David H
Yes, narrowing IRS to pin drive same as Trigos.

[ July 12, 2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Larry N. Johnson ]

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
David,

YOu would have to get new upper and lower control arms and a set of axles from FFR. I think they sell this set for about 600 bucks, at least I read that somewhere.
Of course the cost gets offset by selling your standard length control arms.

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Hey Larry. I just wanted to confirm with you, the accepted wheel spacing and pin drive expert, that this setup will be correct for me:

Mark II with pin drive (IRS and front)
15" x 7.5" front with 3.5" BS
15" x 9.5" rear with 3.5" BS
(this is te Vee 1 "5-pin drive" wheels listed on their page)

This is the right setup for my car, correct? (I believe this is the same as the Trigo's that FFR sells with this setup).

Thanks, Bret

·
3,875 Posts
Bret: you got it and it's the same dimentions as the Trigo setup.
Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.