Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting the ball rolling to do my manual to power steering change. I will be using a reman 93 Fox rack and pump from Napa. I got the hoses and rack extenders from Breeze Automotive, but not sure if I will need the extenders
. I still need the correct steering shaft. Will my current upper arms allow me to get enough caster? (Also using 94 spindles).

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,371 Posts
Unless you are going for a ton of caster, yes as Gordon says.

I relocated the upper shock mount, so the shock assy stays center in the upper arm with 6 degrees caster

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did this conversion on my Mk 1.5 and am running 7.5° caster. In order to avoid interference between the upper front arms and the coil over, I made a couple of changes. On my car the frame points where the control arm bolts (marked in green) go are slotted and I rotated the whole assembly to get maximum caster without changing the arm lengths. I also moved the rear spacer (marked in red) for the upper shock mounts so that both spacers were to the front. Even with 7.5° caster, I still find the steering wheel centering a bit less than I would like but in all the changeover dramatically improved drive ability of the car.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts