Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to reset my autometer ac cobra speedometer/odometer back to 000000.
Has anyone ever done this that could tell me if it is possible with these?

Before anyone yells at me for fraud or illegal activity, this is a gauge I bought from someone on here who had it in his car, but decided to change his gauges.
I bought them and am putting it into my car that has not been built yet so I was hoping to start the odometer at zero and not have to buy a new speedometer.

I have a 2 year old girl and any money I can keep in my pocket goes to her, lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions on this!

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
The only way I know of is to send it back to Autometer and let them do it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any one else? I never thought about actually calling autometer. Maybe I'll see what they would charge for it and go that way.

I also found this video when searching. He's doing it on a classic mustang speedometer, but I wasn't sure if autometers internals were the same as these.

How To Reset a Classic Mustang Odometer - Average Joe Restoration

Like I said before, any other suggestions on this, or anyone that has a broken one that they don't need, I would love to have it and see what it looks like inside, before I attempt opening up my working one.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I contacted autometer as suggests originally and they said "sorry, no can do"

Their response was, because it's an odometer, they are not allowed to tamper with the mileage on the gauge by law. Then why can someone who rebuilds speedometers be able to do it?

But dont worry, they we're very willing to allow me to buy a brand new one and put it in my car instead, lol.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Speedhut Had No Problem Resetting the Odometer

A few months back, my Speedhut vintage speedometer came up in a funny mode when power was applied to the car. The odometer started rolling over at a high rate. By the time I cycled power with the ignition switch, the odometer had counted up to almost 8K miles. Speedhut had no issue resetting the odometer. I think the response from Autometer is a sales thing and has nothing to do with the legality of it. After all, as the owner of the vehicle, you would be the one on the hook if caught rolling back the miles on a car if that was what you were doing. If you can buy a new speedometer with zero miles and install it in the car, what is the difference having the old one reset to zero? The response from Autometer is BS in my opinion. I suggest calling back and talking with someone else, their response you received is not acceptable.

Alan

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Just leave it disconnected for a while till you catch up.

·
Smoked Tires
62 Posts
Trying to reset my autometer ac cobra speedometer/odometer back to 000000.
Has anyone ever done this that could tell me if it is possible with these?

Before anyone yells at me for fraud or illegal activity, this is a gauge I bought from someone on here who had it in his car, but decided to change his gauges.
I bought them and am putting it into my car that has not been built yet so I was hoping to start the odometer at zero and not have to buy a new speedometer.

I have a 2 year old girl and any money I can keep in my pocket goes to her, lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions on this!
I agree with Alan_C and the BS at Autometer. I'd insist on talking to the Technical people. Sounds like you were talking to sales or customer support people. I own a vintage set of Autometer (mechanical)in my cobra, and I'm somewhat disturbed with their response (it wouldn't be illegal if the auto it's going in does not exist yet {no VIN}). I feel like calling and #@$%##@$%$%^^ them out. Seems if its mechanical the technology (possibly) has remained the same and one could use a drill hooked to the cable end, on low speed, to turn it back (I didn't say this).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with Alan_C and the BS at Autometer. I'd insist on talking to the Technical people. Sounds like you were talking to sales or customer support people. I own a vintage set of Autometer (mechanical)in my cobra, and I'm somewhat disturbed with their response (it wouldn't be illegal if the auto it's going in does not exist yet {no VIN}). I feel like calling and #@$%##@$%$%^^ them out. Seems if its mechanical the technology (possibly) has remained the same and one could use a drill hooked to the cable end, on low speed, to turn it back (I didn't say this).
yeah I was surprised at their response too. I will copy and paste what I got back from them in a little bit. how I went about contacting them was through email. They had a generic email board and you select your topic from a list and then put in your description. I did it on sunday night and by Monday morning they responded with what I mentioned before.

I could try using a drill backwards but I actually never thought that would work?????

A few months back, my Speedhut vintage speedometer came up in a funny mode when power was applied to the car. The odometer started rolling over at a high rate. By the time I cycled power with the ignition switch, the odometer had counted up to almost 8K miles. Speedhut had no issue resetting the odometer. I think the response from Autometer is a sales thing and has nothing to do with the legality of it. After all, as the owner of the vehicle, you would be the one on the hook if caught rolling back the miles on a car if that was what you were doing. If you can buy a new speedometer with zero miles and install it in the car, what is the difference having the old one reset to zero? The response from Autometer is BS in my opinion. I suggest calling back and talking with someone else, their response you received is not acceptable.

Alan
That does suck that speedhut would do it for you but autometer wont do it for me. A annoying to say the least. Maybe they only agreed to do it because of the crazy thing your speedometer did and they felt responsible.
But You may be right about the sales thing, maybe I should call someone there instead of corresponding by email.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked my emails and now I cann't find the email from autometer.
I must have deleted it and its no longer in my trash box either. Oh well, I guess I cant show the wonderful response they gave me after all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.