Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting on my new Speedway Engineering Sway bar tonight and have an argument with my buddy over changes in tire/wheel height changes ride height and changes alignment specs true? I switch between race rubber and street tires regularly and it changes my ride height some and I was arguing that it also changes my alignment. Explain if this is correct and why it is true.We bet a 6 pack to the winner. Thanks, Aron

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
No. Ride height varies only because your tires are taller or shorter. This is not the same as lowering by shortening the spring and consequently the toe. Your suspension is staying static only your wheels/tire are changing.

As long as you consider toe a degree measurement everything is the same. If you measure toe as say a 1/16th difference between front and rear tread there is a miniscule difference. If the tire goes from 26.1" height to say a 25.37", I doubt you could measure that with a tape. The toed angle would be the same though.

Michael S.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
It depends on how you define alignment. Camber, caster, and toe angles, as well as most other angles are not changed, but if you define these same parameters in a way that convolutes tire diameter, like toe in terms of inches between the tires, it will. Also, scrub radius changes.

It comes down to definitions, but in the most practical sense, you are correct.

Mike

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Michael, you sound like Bill clinton "define sex"
The sway bar may change your align setting This was proven to me when I was a young dumba$$ .We had a car on the align rack and the boss (still a good friend) Would not get his car off the rack , he tells me that replacing the broken stabilizer link (missing) will change the alignment. I told him he was stoned , he told me sometimes in this business>>> Anyhow I lost the bet it did change after replacing the link. Small changes in tire od will not affect alignment .Now if you Wuz goin mudding and went to a 40" tire then ,,, Bob

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
The only way I see it could change is if your street tires were different heights front and rear, and the race tires were all the same height.

This could slightly vary the weight and balance front to rear.

In other words, if the street tires are taller in the rear than the fronts and your alignment is set up with street tires, when you change to 4 race tires of the same diameter it would slightly shift more weight to the rear which would slightly unload the front suspension, which could affect the alignment.

Where's my
?

Steve

[ June 07, 2007, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Porxter ]

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am the one buying the beer, he was correct, how ever my argument was the same as Steve, So I was only 1/2 wrong. Still going to cost me a
Pack. Aron

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Yes, the alignment will change simply by changing diameter of front tires. Why? Not exactly sure, but I think because it changes the angle of the frame, and therefore the caster. Change the caster, and you change the camber.

I have tried it with my car. Put on a shorter front tire, and camber increases.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So do I owe him a 6 pack or not, it is irrelevant, he drinks all my beer anyway, A
PS boB are you going to Hastings NE in Aug to do a little racing?

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Yeah, I plan on it. I didn't make the first two events, and I'm really jonesing for some speed. I may have to take another day off from work and hit the track at pueblo for some "testing".

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Previously posted by NAGA
HOWEVER, boB is on to something too. IF the increased or decreased lever arm results in the suspension either being more or less compressed, the alignment could very well change in caster or camber.
Yeah, you're both on to something there! :D :confused: :D

Where have I heard that before :confused:

Sorry, couldn't help myself,
Steve ;)

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I say buy him the 6 pack and help him drink it!

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
That lever arm effect on sping compression will be miniscule. The main angles don't change. Scrub does.

Send beer.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Ahhh - Credit where credit is due! Thanks NAGA. I'll quit whining in a minute, but first:

Geez Michael, I said:

if the street tires are taller in the rear than the fronts and your alignment is set up with street tires, when you change to 4 race tires of the same diameter it would slightly shift more weight to the rear which would slightly unload the front suspension, which could affect the alignment.
That is the only scenario I could think of that would help the guy win some beer, for cripes sake! I can't get any more vague than that.

Now - Define miniscule :D

Is that more or less than "slightly"?

Ok - [/whining]
Steve :D :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.