Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed from a '92 stock 5.0 to a 427 stroker motor over the winter. I am lucky to get the motor to start before the battery dies.
There was plenty of power to start old 5.0 in the past.

I reused the old starter in the new engine. I also added a aeromotive 11101 pump that uses 10ga wire and a 30 amp fuse but I have no idea how much power it consumes.

My main questions are, is my current starter a hi-torque starter or do I need to buy one? And does my alternator (stock) put out enough current to overcome the higher current draw?

[ March 15, 2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: mike herbert ]

·
I built it myself
641 Posts
Mike, I've got a new 393 stroker. Using a FMS 11000-A50 Mini starter and a red top Optima battery. I'd bet the battery would turn the engine over for a couple of minutes at least. It's really strong. I'd first check the condition of your battery. They don't last forever. Also check your engine to ground strap. A lot of energy slips away due to a bad ground. My guess is the starter is a standard duty one. Could be the source of waste power. I don't think the stroker needs anymore current than the old motor to run so your alt. should be OK. Check your voltmeter. What kind of voltage is it putting out. At idle mine shows 14v. If I had to guess, I'd say it's either your A) battery or B) starter. Good Luck and apply pressure to the LOUD pedal gently, your driving a whole different animal (reptile) now.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Your 12 year old starter is not going to cut it with that motor. I have a 351 crate motor and a Ford mini-starter and never had a bit of trouble. My battery is nothing special, either. It's a standard Group 47 originally sized for a Merkur.

·
Senior Charter Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by JAM1775:
I would also swap out the stock starter for a lighter high torque unit with your new 427.
So, how did it feel to make that kind of swap ??
The license plate says it all. :eek:

·
Charter Member
2,135 Posts
I would check the positive cable after trying to start and see if it is hot. I used a larger cable from the battery, works good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts