Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finished mk11. want to add coil overs and will change lower control arms at the same time. seems economics says i should buy 3 link special from ffr at that time and add that too.
my battery is in trunk already. sn95 rear axle, will brake lines and gas tank hardware stay the same or will this changeover nickel and dime me to death with surprises? thanks for input.
donny

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
dwcobra:
The most difficult part of the 3-link option will be mounting the frame mount for the upper arm for the 3-link. This bolts to the 2" X 3" steel tube behind the seats, next to the old upper passenger side control arm mount. If you will not be using the four link again, this mount can be cut off or partially cut off to create more space. The 3-Link mount must sit flat on the frame. If the surface is not flat(e.g.weld from the upper control arm), grind it flat with a grinding wheel. Once the mount is positioned, you will have to drill two 5/8" holes into the 2" X 3" steel tube to attach the 3-Link mount. I did the conversion during the build(body off) and it was a pain in the butt. Have pics of the process if you need them. No regrets and glad it got done. Sorry for the long post and hope that this helps.

Allan

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Kenny J and myself put a 3-link in his finished car superbowl sunday last year. We did it in about 6 hours but alot of the time was cutting the bolts out of the upper control arms as they were put in before the rear cockpit aluminum was done and were the wrong way. The worst part is the upper mount but all in all it wasn't that bad. As for changing anything else you should be good. You just move the brake line alittle to clear the bracket that mounts on the rearend. Good luck

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,543 Posts
If you get the 3 link bundle its like getting the lower control arms for free as far as $$ savings. I did the retro in 2166 and I spent about 3 days doing it working a couple hours an evening. The difference in handling is very noticable and the car inspires a lot more confidence. Rob here on the forum has some supplemental instructions and an install kit that help out on the install. The hardware shouldnt cost much if you need any, FFR had been a little lax with the fasteners but they may have gotten better. Robs instructions include a list of fasteners and I think some extras that might not have come with the 3 link. Good Luck with it!

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts