Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is ceramic coating more expensive than stainless steel? I notice that you can buy stainless steel headers for about 100.00 less than ceramic coated.
My ceramic coated headers are already showing signs of rust. I thought the point of a coating such as this was to prevent rust altogether. I'm confused i guess.

·
El Conquestador
1,089 Posts
Stainless steel discolors over time. It "Blues"

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but my ceramic coating has rust stains on it already and the car stays in a garage with a dehumidifier. Do these rust colored stains wipe off with a special polish??

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I wonder if your pipes were prepared correctly before coating?
I've got 6 years on mine with no blemishes at all.

RR

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
It's much more labor intensive to build the headers and then prep, coat, and bake to achieve the ceramic coating than it is to simply build the headers out of ss. They shouldn't rust unless they were poorly coated or there are spots where the coating is missing. My entire set up on my coupe (headers, crossover, Flowmaster mufflers and side pipes) is ceramic coated and I have no rust at all after one season and 1500 miles. We'll see how it performs over the next couple of years for the real test.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm, i will snap a picture this weekend. The rust colored stain is in the shape of water marks. I think they might have happened when i accidently splashed some anti-freeze on the pipes while they were still hot.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jim! Actually, your post is what made my ask the question, what is the point of ceramic coating if it rusts?? Was that rust or just some type of staining on your pipes that looks exactly like rust??
I am going to try to wenol on them this weekend.

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
It was more like a buildup of road crud along with some surface rust. Those pictures are of the front underside of the pipes. This is the area that gets the most road abuse - but because it's underneath and out of sight - it also gets the less amount of cleaning/polishing. My old pipes were black powdercoated and they also had the same buildup underneath. My bad for not keeping them clean. Now I know.
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might try using a buffing wheel and rubbing compound to remove the stains. I would then follow with an aluminum polish such as mothers that will leave a protective coating. You might have a case where the staining agent has penatrated the ceramic and might not be able to remove it. I have had cases where something has spilled on a hot pipe and reacted with the ceramic in such a way that the only answer was to re-coat the pipe.
For those of you that have to polish your own pipes because the coater did not have a big enough polisher you are in for a lot of work and will not be able to get the shine that a vibratory polisher does. Polishing is a very critical part of making the ceramic last as the ceramic is porous prior to polishing. I have done over 700 sets of sidepipes over the years and have seen a lot of interesting things happen.
The shiny part of the ceramic that you see is aluminum in the ceramic that is why it may stain or react to different chemicals.When you see the ceramic getting dull on bends or headers it is simply a function of heat melting or oxidating (sp)the aluminum out of the ceramic if it does it long enough the ceramic will become porus thus exposing the base metal to the elements. This is one reason that we also coat the inside of headers with a different ceramic than is used on the outside thus giving us more protection and making the exterior coating more durable.

Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts