Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Centering Body

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  moonsam 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm currently trying to button down the body. I've had difficulties centering the body to the frame. Only an issue at the front.

Seems the body does not want to sit over the 3/4 frame on the left side of the car. (See images below). I can force it over, but I see the lip is strained, particularly over the hinge plate area. I'm worried this might eventually fatigue and crack the body at this point.

Also, when i force the body over the 3/4 frame, it throws out windscreen cut out locations slightly. I can open this up a little to compensate but I'd rather not. We are looking at about 1/8" - 3/16" that the body needs to shift from left to right.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

See less See more
#2 ·
Dremel the windshield hole larger. Factory cutouts are not always accurate.

#5 ·
Mike’s referring to the outriggers that the quick jack bolts attach to. Most of us have to knock the mount one way or the other to get it centered. Also make sure your body is lifted off the cross member that the radiator is attached to. I think it’s between 1/2-3/4” above the frame where the outrigger starts sloping down.

#6 ·
The body to frame along the sides of the hood is NOT a good data point. Measure from the top front shock mount to the edge of the fender flare. This will get the body centered w/ respect to the tires which is what matters. The front mounts can be a bit of a pain. A lot of times on of them needs to move in a direction where it is already tight to the body. If it needs to move, 1/2 inch for sake of discussion, you would need to push it maybe a full inch so it would spring back and stop at the 1/2 that you need. You can't always get that full inch of movement w/ the body in place so you need to pull the body.

#7 ·
X2 on centering the body, front and rear, by measuring from fixed points on the frame or suspension to the wheel well lips. Everything else needs to be adjusted from there. The hood opening will almost for sure be slightly off-center from the frame rails. Ignore that. Every one I've done required adjusting the front mounts to align with the properly centered body. They move pretty easily as CraigS said.

#8 ·
Yep, as Craig and Paul said center by measuring from the shock tower to the outer edge at the top of the wheel opening. The engine compartment tubes to hood opening mean nothing because the hood is not centered on the body.

Jeff

#9 ·
Thanks Guys... Absolute legends!

The wealth of knowledge here is awesome..

Measured and centered equal both sides. Nudged the mount a bit and presto, all lined up!

Fitted windshield too and it's now looking like a car [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Thanks Guys... Absolute legends!

The wealth of knowledge here is awesome..

Measured and centered equal both sides. Nudged the mount a bit and presto, all lined up!

Fitted windshield too and it's now looking like a car [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Is that the Harbor Freight lift? If so how do you like it.? I'd love to see a pic underneath so I can see where it contacts the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.