Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just this past Monday my neighbor's Expedition SUV got broken into, the passenger's side glass was broken but nothing was taken according to his daughter, the low life also backed up into the SUV and damaged the driver's side rear quarter panel which must have happened shortly after the video cut off.

This all happened right about 6:30 in the morning, this kind of brazen crime is on the rise everywhere and is clearly an opportunistic bash and grab crime as he clearly ignored both my covered vehicles in my driveway but giggled the handle on my wife's Focus, thank God I always keep my Cobra and GT-350 garaged.

I gave my neighbor the video to turn it over to the police, I doubt much will happen as property damage/theft is so routine that unless someone gets hurt they pretty much just blow you off. You gotta love the low lifes our society is creating especially here in California.

FYI, don't leave anything visible in your car, even with a car alarm!

Saul

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That is nuts. Where is everybody? 6:30 is not that early and I would have thought somebody would be out and about walking their dogs, going for a run or going to work. The guy is a loser and he is lucky nobody was there to do him some harm.

·
Junior Charter Member
613 Posts
In February we spent the weekend in a hotel in Greece NY. It snowed Saturday night and in the morning there were foot prints between every car in the parking lot. Obviously someone was checking for unlocked cars looking for an easy score.

Thieves know where to look for things to steal.

We live in Niagara-on-the-Lake, which is a beautiful rural tourist destination. Every summer we hear about tourists who leave their cars unlocked and have items stolen. They think that just because it’s a sleepy little town in the country that there are no thieves, but there are people who drive out from the city to steal from the unsuspecting tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Unfortunately due to recent changes to our state laws property crimes are no longer given the importance they need, by reducing penalties associated with property crimes it makes it more difficult to issue felony sentences so now vandals and thieves are more emboldened.

At 6:30 AM people in my neighborhood are getting into their cars or walking their dogs you can clearly see the guy kept looking down the street, since I live at the end of a Cul-de-Sac he likely had a look-out. What's amazing is the casual attitude, it was like this was routine and he was just doing his job.

Saul

·
Registered
171 Posts
Isn't anything under $1000 value considered a misdemeanor in California? So it's ok I steal $999.
It's gotten so bad, they go into stores, pop open a calculator and fill their carts right up to below the threshold, totalling it as they go. Get away driver parks at emergency exit and the cart gets dumped into car and gone. If they get caught it's a ticket. A freeaking ticket.

California loves decriminalizing everything nowadays. They also like making more laws. Weird.

·
Charter Member
6,152 Posts
I live in a rural area down a long driveway. Each house has 3+ acres. We have three cars outside and never lock them. One morning around 6-6:30am I was getting large purchase alerts on my two credit cards. Someone opened the suv door, stole my wife's purse. Drove 45 minutes to another town, went to home depot and walmart - bought a cart full of tools at HD and I denied the charge alert at Walmart. Keep in mind these stores have cameras everywhere, there is one looking right at your face at checkout.
We called the cops and one of my past clients is a cop in the county we live in. They came out and took some notes, that was about it. We had to cancel the cards and my wife had to go get a new license. What a pain, all for a $100 in cash and a shopping spree that is all on tape. That cops did nothing! Not important enough I guess.
Now I have Arlo cameras at each door and looking at the parking areas.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Satisfying, but it's own set of problems. >:)

·
Actual builder now!
1,469 Posts
Yep. I live in a smallish city and that sort of thing is constantly on the news. Crime of opportunity so just lock your doors. Not difficult.
Sorry but it's "caught". A little OCD kicking in here.

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yep. I live in a smallish city and that sort of thing is constantly on the news. Crime of opportunity so just lock your doors. Not difficult.
Sorry but it's "caught". A little OCD kicking in here.
No harm in constructive correcting. Thanks for letting me know but now my OCD is going to drive me crazy since I can't correct the the typo in the title!

Saul

·
7,676 Posts
Unfortunately due to recent changes to our state laws property crimes are no longer given the importance they need, by reducing penalties associated with property crimes it makes it more difficult to issue felony sentences so now vandals and thieves are more emboldened.
I'm not saying that you should do this......but it is funny!!!:lol::lol:

"A man sees someone breaking into his shed. He calls police. They say they don't have anyone available right now. They'll be there as soon as they can, but it may be two hours. The man hangs up.

A few minutes later he calls again and tells them to take their time. He's pulled out his rifle and shot the man. He's not going anywhere. Within minutes the place is swarming with police, helicopters, cars, dogs, etc. They find the man breaking into the shed and arrest him.

The police go to the man, "I thought you said you shot him!" The man responds "I thought you said you had no one available"

Ray

·
Administrator
6,990 Posts
No harm in constructive correcting. Thanks for letting me know but now my OCD is going to drive me crazy since I can't correct the the typo in the title!

Saul
Fixed.

:)

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Ray,

That's funny! I'll have to remember that one.

Thanks David, I'm all good now :wink2:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Here in Wichita there has been a few newspaper articles regarding theft from vehicles. The local PD is telling people it makes no difference what level of neighborhood you live in people check cars almost every night. More than once over the years I have gotten out of bed to ensure our vehicles and detached garage were locked. Although remote key fobs has made it easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts