Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to install rugs. Plan to use silicone spray adhesive that i used for heat mat.Is this ok or have others used something better.Please Advise!

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
i'd highly recommend double-sided carpet tape. available at home depot in the carpet section. it's designed to hold down astro-turf so it's good for the sun.

it takes a bit longer, but you don't have to worry about overspray. so, it may actually save you time.

you don't need to tape every square inch, just around the sides and maybe a few in the middle for the bigger pieces.

tip: don't pull the carpet too tight around outside corners, such as over the tranny tunnel. if you do, you carpet will "part" like the part in gary coleman's hair.

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eddie,Good advice as usual. Ive read your posts before.I'll pick up tape tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
All my double sided tapes are coming off. Never again. Anything veritcal is droping. I got the Home Depot stuff as it was recommended. I'm re-doing it with contact cement right now. :mad:

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
would velcro be good for this?

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
I used Permatex #27828 HD Headliner & Carpet Adhesive. Nothing has come loose so far.
I will warn you that the fumes aren't fun down in the footboxes.

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
I also had trouble with carpet tape on vertical surfaces. I was going over Dynamat though. As Eddie suggests, be careful when streaching or pulling up sections to re-stick it. You will be left holding the mat and the fibers will have pulled through and be stuck to the adhesive. Then you will have to call Sy Sperling to do a transpant... :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Ad me to the 3M list. I believe the one I use is the Super 77. Pick up some acetone and/or lacquer thinner as well - makes the clean-up actually pretty easy. makes quick work of any overspray adn finger smudges.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
3M's General Trim adhesive is better than the Super 77, cost a little more, but worth it.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
I did a little experimentation before laying the carpet in the car. I used test pieces of carpet and aluminum along with the 3M black double-sided tape and 3M Super 77 spray. I should also note that I have the loop carpet from Cobraheat and the backing might be different that the FFR stuff. I found that the tape alone did a mediocre job, carpet came up pretty easy. Spray alone held pretty well, but spray used in combination with the tape proved to have the greatest holding power. I would seem that the tape adheres best to the aluminum and the spray adheres best to the carpet and the tape and the spray adhere great to each other.

Another benefit of the tape, if used in all the corners and seams, hides any little gaps in the carpet. Since it's black, you don't see any aluminum peeking through and it ensures a good bond at the seams.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I used mostly 3M Super 90 for 50% of the cockpit aluminum. All of the transmission tunnel was done with tape in case I ever had to work on the tranny. The foot box was 50% spray, 50% tape.

I do like the velcro idea for the tranny tunnel and may do that if I ever re-did the carpet again (or the transmission, whichever comes first!)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I am using a combination of the materials described above, including 3M spray adhesive, two-sided tape and industrial velcro. I am however keeping the transmission tunnel carpet removable to let me get to the access panel there if I ever need to: I am holding that in place with velcro at the moment, but eventually I will probably use sets of three black screws and escutcheons at the vertical front and rear ends of that piece of carpet. No one will see the rear screws due to the seats, and the front screws will not be noticeable. Using a combination of techniques allows you more flexibility, depending on the specific situation.
I know that others have had similar experiences to Kouros' but I think that, since we each have built these cars in the first place, we can easily address those locations differently later where the two-sided tape may have released its grip.

·
5,470 Posts
Contact Cement. Also allows you to move it around a bit before it firms up. But once it's down, it's down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts