Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have my body off for paint in about a week so it is time to finish the interior. The manual says to use 3m super 77 adhesive for the carpet but I am concerned that this will be messy since it is an aerosol. I was considering using Weldwood contact cement from Menards and use a small roller and brush to apply. Has anyone used this contact cement and has it held up? I will be putting a layer of EZ Cool down and then the carpet. Thanks

· Lay posi
1,223 Posts
I used HENRY 663 Outdoor Carpet Adhesive. Lowes used to carry it, but now they only carry carpet glue without VOC's. I did a test between the non-VOC from Lowes and the HENRY 663 and it was no comparison the 663 is way better. I had to order the last bit for my car online since Lowes stopped handling it.

Wibby

· Registered
523 Posts
I do upholstery (well, corporate job now...trimmer by trade)
I buy landau contact adhesive by the 5 gallon can. It sprays from a primer gun.
My suggestion is to call a local shop and ask how much for a quart of it...go buy a quart paint can and fill it up. It works ten times better than spray adhesive. Then buy a $15 harbor freight primer gun.

I pay $100 for a 5 gallon can...I have sold quarts before for $20....I wouldn't see why a local shop wouldn't do something like that for you....a quart is probably equal to 8 of those cans and goes on thicker.

· Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
I used DAP Weldwood contact cement gel and it was easier to work with and had much less mess than the traditional non-gel contact cement. I have been on the road for a year, carpet wet with rain etc and no issues with it coming loose anywhere. my two carpet tips are spray some flat black paint where the seams come together and use a black magic marker on the couple of areas that the base of the carpet can be seen such as in front of the door where it wraps around the 2X2 post. Installing the carpet was a lot less difficult than I expected it to be.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
I used the 3m super 77 and I would use it again. You can spray it on the carpet and the floorboard very accurately (you get better as you go along). You can pull the carpet off to reposition it if you don't get it exactly where you want it the first time. Also, it cleans up easily with a mild solvent like wax & grease remover - getting it off of the carpeting is no problem.

· Registered
6,093 Posts
I too used the Weldwood gel contact cement from the local Home Depot on my Mk3. It works very well. Just make sure to get the gel and not the regular. It works much easier. Get the position right when you're applying, because it grabs hard. Finished my first full season, and one partial before. Carpet is rock solid. I will use the same thing on my current Mk4 build.

The 3M spray is great. I've used it on other projects. But really be careful and mask. The overspray -- even a light mist -- is sticky and gummy. Just don't like spraying it around on the inside of the cockpit.

· BUCKEYE IN NC
967 Posts
I used the 77 adhesive, and it worked just fine.
Just a word of caution, though - The placement of the carpet once you have glue on it (and the surface) must be spot on because you have a matter of 5 seconds or so to pull it up and reposition. If you wait too long, the glue will pull the carpet strands right through the backing when you try to pull it off.
Try to get it right the first time.

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I used a top quality black silicone, in the caulking gun tube.

It was great, it doesn't set up to quick, so you can snug each piece of carpet to the other, for a seamless look. The black color is forgiving just in case you get a little on the carpet. It has stayed adhered very well to the insulation's aluminum backing. Easy to apply, no fumes. I would use it again.:)

· Premium Member
968 Posts
Options...

There are many options...as per the responses...however the 3m 77 worked perferct for me. Just be sure, as previously stated, you get the fitment right or it is difficult to pull off to reposition and then you may have to respray (ask me how I know:001_rolleyes:). Make sure the piece fits correctly before applying any type of cement. I found that by placing one edge of the carpet down first and then kind of rolling the remainder in place worked great. Beat of luck!

Rocky

· Charter Member
1,774 Posts
3M Super 77 Adhesive

I have used the 3m super 77 adhesive on several Cobras. Works great, as stated. Easy to control the spray. Use a piece of cardboard to control overspray.
I found it best to spray either the carpet or the panel and stick the carpet before the glue drys. If the glue is wet you can move the carpet into place.
If you spray glue and both pieces and wait, it's a one shot deal like retownsendjr posted.

Dwight

· Junior Charter Member
3,146 Posts
I used clear silicon, just like the stuff I used between the aluminum panels. Easy to work with and very forgiving about the placement. You can push and pull the carpet to the right spot. I clamped it to the tubing in the foot boxes. Been holding for eight years. Even got wet several times. Only drawback is trying to remove it.

· Premium Member
83 Posts
Landau

I used the Weldwood Landau adhesive for both dash and carpet. After a bad experience with Lowes weldwood cement, I was thrilled with the Landau stuff and would not hesitate to use it again. I used cheap foam brushes on both pieces, let it dry 6-7 min till not tacky and then install. Lay the carpet in place, and you can move it around, then push it down and it will be STUCK. I had to order it as I could not find it locally. Both the dash and the carpet are good as new after two seasons..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.