Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Chokes are a good place to first check. He has dual 4 barrels AVS carbs. One has a manual choke and the other electric. Make sure the manual is locked open and cannot move. These carbs come with great instructions for set up.
On the electric choke, you will need to hold the throttle wide open while adjusting the black cap. Naturally this is with a cold engine, engine off, switch off, and cap screws loosened. Do not pull the cap away from the carb, it will disengage the thermal spring.
With all of the above settings, turning the choke cap right and left should move the choke blade.
You need to be aware of the results when you cold start the engine.
The proper procedure for cold start, is press the throttle to the floor one time, let off completely and start.
A proper setting will result in a higher than normal idle and no chugging or continued black smoke.
You can check for power to the electric choke terminals with a test light or meter. Check between the 2 terminals. This will ensure power and a ground. This will be with the engine running.
If these conditions are not satisfactory, let us know.
Do not start adjusting other settings, we will deal with one item at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
GraigS and Railroad

I have not done any of these things. I will as soon as I can. It's confusing now but I am sure it will make more sense.

As far as instructions the kit came with DVDs. I looked at all these instructions and it really was just not clear in my opinion. I even have called the Edelbrock techs a couple times. They said the same thing the instructions are clear and so maybe I just didn't get the instructions.

But these instructions are pretty clear I'll just have to read them I am looking at it maybe I'll make more sense.

Thank you so much

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I did take a quick looksie. And the manual chome did move. So I will have to figure how to secure that better.

I see a couple screws on the electric choke. I will try to get to his today if not tomorrow. Prior commitments.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Railroad

My understanding with the engine off and the gas pedal fully engaged

1. Turn the cap so that the blades are fully open.

2. Then go though the cold start procedures. And see what happens.

Jason

·
Registered
172 Posts
The gas pedal fully engaged allows the automatic choke to close. Once that happens, release the gas pedal, and now you can push the choke flap with your finger, it will be free to move open and snap back shut. You will also feel the tension ...the more tension the richer it is set. As you adjust towards lean you will feel less tension, meaning once it has 12v it will open sooner.

As a starting point, turn the cap so the blade is fully open, then turn it the other way so it just barely closes and add maybe a tiny bit more tension. Tighten the screws, and try it.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The gas pedal fully engaged allows the automatic choke to close. Once that happens, release the gas pedal, and now you can push the choke flap with your finger, it will be free to move open and snap back shut. You will also feel the tension ...the more tension the richer it is set. As you adjust towards lean you will feel less tension, meaning once it has 12v it will open sooner.

As a starting point, turn the cap so the blade is fully open, then turn it the other way so it just barely closes and add maybe a tiny bit more tension. Tighten the screws, and try it.
Awesome thank you

Doing some errands trying to get to it before work

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oh, by the way, if the second carb has a manual choke which will not be used, you can remove the blade completely by the two screws that hold in on. Stuff the carb barrels with a rag in case you drop the screws!!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I followed the instructions as best I could. I'm not confident I did it correctly. Though it starts much easier and idles much better. I went and got gas and had some light smoke. Sucks.

I will try again tomorrow.

The echoke is forsure working. I can see it operate and I used the bolt meter.

I was able to twist the black covering and get to stay wide open. It had tension and everything.

Tried to get to close that was not as clear. It was closed and opened as in would understand it.

I will work on it tomorrow.

Thank you

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
GraigS

It seemed at 5 min it seemed was closed not open.

I did not have time to mess with that I will try again tomorrow.

At idle the fuel gauge read 2 psi.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Jason,
Do not remove the choke blade on the manual choked carb. Just lock the linkage with a wire, zip tie, etc, so the choke cannot be applied. Make sure your wire, tie, etc does not interfere with other linkage.

1. Cold engine
2. Key off
3 Loosen screws on black plastic choke cap on electric choked carb.
4 Hold carb throttle wide open
5 Turn black cap till choke blade just touches closed.
6 Holding the cap in place, tighten the screws on the black plastic choke cap.
7 Choke blade should be closed as you finish tightening the screws
8 Engine should be ready to start, you have already put of fuel in by opening the carbs wide open and the choke should still be closed.
9 Start the engine and put a meter on the choke wires.
10 You should show voltage on the wires.
11. As the engine starts, it should pull the choke blade open more than previously set. This is right.
12. As the engine warms and choke starts to heat up, it will be ready to open and release fast idle.
13. When you touch the gas pedal it will unload the fast idle cam and choke setting. The choke will go to full open and the idle will reduce to your normal idle level.

Tell me how it did or make a video and we can adjust if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Railroad
Awesome 👍 thank you so much I am sorry I really do not know anything about this.

These instructions look awesome I will try tomorrow.

I am at work. I will update you tomorrow.

I tied up the choke with a wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think you have the choke wired in the closed position. Pull the air filters and make sure. The black bracket that runs under the fuel inlet is designed to hold the choke cable. Run a solid wire from the cable bracket to the choke arm. Loosen the screw on the choke cable bracket. Slide the solid wire between the two clamping parts. On the choke arm end of the wire bend a 90* bend and insert in the hole and bend over so it cannot come out.
With choke blade in the full open position, tighten the screw on the cable bracket. You may have to fold the wire double to make the clamp hole it. I
I attached a picture to show you the parts involved. It is the silver carb with gold bracket and lever.
For the wire try a piece of 14 or 16 gauge solid copper wire, whatever will fit in the choke blade lever hole.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,027 Posts
The electric choke should be open or very close at 5 minutes. That is not a hard and fast number, just my experience. Of course it depends how it is adjusted. The problem I have had w/ electric chokes is they usually go open too early. Next time you have the opportunity I'd check it at 5 minutes and again at 10 minutes. If it's not open at 10 minutes it is for sure a problem. Well, 2psi isn't a cause of rich running for sure. Much more common (it varies by carb manufacturer/model) would be 4-8#. So I am not sure that is a good # but we can, at least for now w/ this problem, check it off the list of possible causes.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,027 Posts
BTW, I am really glad to see your attitude w/ a pain in the butt problem. Keep at it, remember those drives when it was running well for inspiration. I am confident we can get this fixed and one day you will read a thread and be able to say, 'well, when I had a similar problem, this is what fixed it'.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
GraigS

I'm always learning. I understand I have zero knowledge so it makes it easier to listen to you guys. I'm actually having fun learning about this. When we get it running properly. It will be rewarding.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I flowed all the instructions makes awesome sense.

Railroad and Craigs

I had no issues everything starting and sounding and working right by your instructions.

I have not driven it yet I wanted to let it cool look at the spark plugs again make sure they are gapped properly. I was thinking .40. On I pulled was completely closed.

So idk. After that I will take it around the block and follow the rest of GraigS instructions.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So followed all the steps and things seems good.

I tried to up the fuel PSI but I could make it go down not up. I will have to try to figure that out later just user error.

I drove it around the block.

There is smoke. I managed to catch it on video.

Jason

21 - 40 of 61 Posts